PDSOE database connection gives false sense of security

Posted by dbeavon on 10-Oct-2018 12:18

We were recently testing some "ipf" filtering in HP-UX.  While messing with TCP port filtering I was checking the impact that the filtering would have on a remote ABL client app.  The way I was checking was by editing the port numbers of my database connections in PDSOE .  See the database configuration below.  It turns out that no matter what you do for the "host" and "port", if you click the "Test Connection" button it will always return "Connection succeeded".  See below that I have entered a non-existent hostname and the connection still succeeds.

This experimenting was done on 11.7.3.

I'm betting that someone commented out the part of the "Test Connection" feature that tests the connection.  

Can anybody please confirm that no matter how you configure your new database connection, there is no actual test to make sure that it will work?  This is very confusing.  If there is no connection test available for ABL connectivity then the button should be removed! 

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 17-Oct-2018 06:29

Hi,

While creating/editing a new database connection, we can see 3 pages in that wizard. The first page is for OpenEdge run time to know about the database details.  The 'Test Connection' button in the first page is to test the connection for OpenEdge AVM. It should not give connection success for wrong details. We already have a bug in our backlog.

The second page is for Defining a SQL connection. In that page when  we trying to edit sql connection , we can see another 'Test connection' button to test the SQL connection to the database. While creating a new database connection, the details given in the first page will be carry forwarded to the second page and the ‘Test Connection’ in the second page will read all the details including the host and port numbers. If wrong details are given in the first page, on finishing the wizard, the connection failure messages will be seen in the console view.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

All Replies

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 17-Oct-2018 06:29

Hi,

While creating/editing a new database connection, we can see 3 pages in that wizard. The first page is for OpenEdge run time to know about the database details.  The 'Test Connection' button in the first page is to test the connection for OpenEdge AVM. It should not give connection success for wrong details. We already have a bug in our backlog.

The second page is for Defining a SQL connection. In that page when  we trying to edit sql connection , we can see another 'Test connection' button to test the SQL connection to the database. While creating a new database connection, the details given in the first page will be carry forwarded to the second page and the ‘Test Connection’ in the second page will read all the details including the host and port numbers. If wrong details are given in the first page, on finishing the wizard, the connection failure messages will be seen in the console view.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

Posted by dbeavon on 17-Oct-2018 08:20

The sql connection test has always been fine.  It was the ABL (client/server) connection that was inaccurately saying that the connection succeeded, even though the connection couldn't possibly succeed under the specified configuration.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon. It creates confusion when you use a connection in the AVM and it fails, even though the connection test had "succeeded" at the point when the connection was being created.

Posted by vinhng on 18-Oct-2018 04:38

Hello,

I can connect success DB local

But I can not connect DB remote

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Posted by vinhng on 18-Oct-2018 04:38

Hello,

I can connect success DB local

But I can not connect DB remote

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Posted by Mike Fechner on 18-Oct-2018 04:52

Might be a license issue. Which licenses do you have installed?

You need a workgroup or enterprise DB license for remote DB connects.

This thread is closed