Adminserver (OEE in particular) is not installed along with

Posted by dbeavon on 13-Sep-2018 08:07

We'd like to have the OEE (port 9090, part of adminserver) available on our production PASOE servers.

The primary reason is in order to easily manage the ABL applications and webapps (and their related openedge.properties) with the related OEE user interface .  Another reason for adminserver is because we need yet another free component of the the adminserver framework, which is the sonic-adapter-broker-service used for JMS messaging.  It also has corresponding OEE user interface and its own management functions in OEE as well. 

But for some reason OEE it is NOT made available by default, and there are no prompts during the setup to make it available.  And no utility to enable it after the fact.

In the past we've used a weird workaround - adding and removing another random Progress license via the "License Update" utility.  This seems to have the effect  of pulling in OEE, without breaking any legal contracts (hopefully).  Afterwards the randomly selected license is removed again, but OEE seems to "stick" and it happily remains in place.   I noticed there is a very short article to this effect:

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/pasoe-installation-does-not-install-the-adminserver

- you will notice in the article that they suggest installing all of *PDSOE* on a *production* server.

Can someone please comment on this KB?  Should we follow-up those instructions by *uninstalling* the temporary Progress license that we had used to smuggle adminserver into the installation?  Should we leave PDSOE on the server permanently?  Is there another alternative Progress license - aside from PDSOE - that we can use to smuggle adminserver and OEE?  (It is a bit of a shock to consider installing PDSOE on a production server, for any reason whatsoever!)  Are there any additional legal or licensing concerns that are associated with the enabling of OEE on PASOE for production?

I wish that KB article elaborated on available licenses that could be used to smuggle adminserver and OEE.  The article leaves a lot of open questions.  I also wish that PASOE prompted whether to enable OEE (or installed a utility that would allow that after the fact).  It seems that Progress assumes that PASOE customers will have a remote server with OEE/OEM to manage PASOE remotely.  But that is less practical than keeping all of the Progress stuff in one place.

Posted by dbeavon on 14-Sep-2018 09:21

I'm going to assume it is totally legal to do what the KB says and install PDSOE, then use the license update utility to remove the license afterwards.  Those unusual steps seem to have the intended effect of enabling adminserver/OEE.  We don't seem to lose OEE again after removing the license.

An added bonus is that once adminserver/OEE are in place, you can easily enable the "sonic-adapter-broker-service-thingy" if needed (... which is a component of the AdminServer infrastructure that doesn't have an additional charge if you already own PASOE, per the information provided to us by our account representative.)

Here is a screenshot of that KB article as it is written now.

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/pasoe-installation-does-not-install-the-adminserver

There are some things that still concern me about the recommendation for installing PDSOE.  It may have negative side-effects and consequences that aren't fully explained in that very short KB article.  For example, I suspect that it might set in place components that may allow programs to be *dynamically* compiled in production - possibly even programs that *update* the database.  I haven't fully investigated whether or not the KB leads to these side-effects, but will do so before moving ahead.  It would be nice if Progress provided a formal utility, rather that telling PASOE customers to install PDSOE in production...

Posted by dbeavon on 07-Nov-2018 14:39

Oddly enough this didn't have the full effect I was looking for.  I was able to get admin server installed by installing PDSOE and removing the license (as documented in the KB #86442).  But no such luck for NameServer...  I now get error messages saying I'm not licensed for Nameserver anymore...

So it would appear that I lost my Nameserver somewhere along the way.  That is a pretty big problem because we (apparently) rely on that nameserver before we can enable messaging (ie. allow the use of [Adapter.sonicMQ1] in ubroker.properties).  In short, PASOE cannot use the JMS adapter yet or send any messages to our Jboss AMQ.

Fortunately there are two entries in my product list for OE 11.7.x that I haven't tried yet.  See below.  When I click on these, they immediately give me some "free" serial numbers and control numbers so I'm assuming I have rights to install these on a PASOE server:

• Progress OpenEdge JMS Adapter (listed as version 11.7.1)
  • NameServer (listed as version 11.7)

We are currently running 11.7.4 so I'm hoping that I can simply run the "license update utility" to add these into the PASOE server's license file.   Hopefully I will eventually muddle my way to a permanent solution.  This stuff is not very intuitive.  I wish the PASOE installer would have some simple check boxes to include adminserver/OEE, nameserver, and the JMS adapter.  Based on my experience a PASOE installation is incomplete until these have all been installed.

Posted by dbeavon on 07-Nov-2018 14:43

Oddly enough this didn't have the full effect I was looking for.  I was able to get admin server installed by installing PDSOE and removing the license (as documented in the KB #86442).  But no such luck for NameServer...  I now get error messages saying I'm not licensed for Nameserver anymore...

So it would appear that I lost my nameserver somewhere along the way.  That is a pretty big problem because we (apparently) rely on that nameserver before we can enable messaging (ie. allow the use of [Adapter.sonicMQ1] in ubroker.properties).  In short, PASOE is unable to use the JMS adapter or send messages to our Jboss AMQ Broker (IBM-RedHat).

Fortunately there are two entries in my product list for OE 11.7.x that I haven't tried yet.  See below.  When I click on these, they immediately give me some "free" serial numbers and control numbers so I'm assuming I have rights to install these on a PASOE server:

*) Progress OpenEdge JMS Adapter (listed as version 11.7.1)

*) NameServer (listed as version 11.7)

We are currently running 11.7.4 so I'm hoping that I can simply run the "license update utility" to add these into the PASOE server's license file.   Hopefully I will eventually muddle my way to a solution.  This stuff is not very intuitive.  I wish the PASOE installer would have check boxes to include adminserver/OEE, nameserver, and the JMS adapter.  Based on my experience a PASOE installation is incomplete until all these have been installed.

All Replies

Posted by Tim Hutchens on 13-Sep-2018 08:39

From talking with the PASOE developers (Roy Ellis and Dave Cleary) at Progress NEXT this year, it sounds like they intend for the production PASOE server to be extremely locked down out of the box, intentionally not installing OEE for security reasons. It sounds like the recommendation is to get familiar with the pasman/tcman command line tools for managing a production PASOE server.  If Roy or Dave or one of the other PASOE developers can explain this better, I'd appreciate it as well.

You can legally install OEE on the production PASOE server if you have a license for any product in this list (NameServer is probably your best option):

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Here is a related article: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../How-to-connect-Progress-Development-Studio-for-OpenEdge-to-a-remote-Pacific-App-Server

I hope this helps,

Tim

Posted by dbeavon on 13-Sep-2018 09:26

Thanks for the feedback.  In our case, the desire to install OEE doesn't have to do with security.  The main reason for OEE is because it is the only user-friendly front-end that is provided for administration (see PS***).  If the OEE port 9090 was disallowed to all remote clients, that would still be fine by us and it would still serve our purposes to log into the server in order to do administration.

The KB article ( https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/pasoe-installation-does-not-install-the-adminserver   ) doesn't take into consideration the legal aspects of installing something like PDSOE on a production server.  Given the wording of that KB, I'm assuming you wouldn't burn up a whole license of PDSOE just in order to make OEE available on PASOE-PRODUCTION.

I suspect it is only a very small percent of installations of PASOE-PRODUCTION that wouldn't include adminserver and/or OEE.  AdminServer would "come along for the ride" any time a customer needs dataserver, the sonic-broker-adapter-service, etc.

Thanks, David

***PS. This assumes that server admins don't have intimate knowledge of Progress, Tomcat, or the related command line tools.  The routine admin work that is required for PASOE should not necessarily involve running tcman commands.

Posted by dbeavon on 14-Sep-2018 09:21

I'm going to assume it is totally legal to do what the KB says and install PDSOE, then use the license update utility to remove the license afterwards.  Those unusual steps seem to have the intended effect of enabling adminserver/OEE.  We don't seem to lose OEE again after removing the license.

An added bonus is that once adminserver/OEE are in place, you can easily enable the "sonic-adapter-broker-service-thingy" if needed (... which is a component of the AdminServer infrastructure that doesn't have an additional charge if you already own PASOE, per the information provided to us by our account representative.)

Here is a screenshot of that KB article as it is written now.

There are some things that still concern me about the recommendation for installing PDSOE.  It may have negative side-effects and consequences that aren't fully explained in that very short KB article.  For example, I suspect that it might set in place components that may allow programs to be *dynamically* compiled in production - possibly even programs that *update* the database.  I haven't fully investigated whether or not the KB leads to these side-effects, but will do so before moving ahead.  It would be nice if Progress provided a formal utility, rather that telling PASOE customers to install PDSOE in production...

Posted by dbeavon on 07-Nov-2018 14:39

So it would appear that I lost my Nameserver somewhere along the way.  That is a pretty big problem because we (apparently) rely on that nameserver before we can enable messaging (ie. allow the use of [Adapter.sonicMQ1] in ubroker.properties).  In short, PASOE cannot use the JMS adapter yet or send any messages to our Jboss AMQ.

Fortunately there are two entries in my product list for OE 11.7.x that I haven't tried yet.  See below.  When I click on these, they immediately give me some "free" serial numbers and control numbers so I'm assuming I have rights to install these on a PASOE server:

• Progress OpenEdge JMS Adapter (listed as version 11.7.1)
  • NameServer (listed as version 11.7)

We are currently running 11.7.4 so I'm hoping that I can simply run the "license update utility" to add these into the PASOE server's license file.   Hopefully I will eventually muddle my way to a permanent solution.  This stuff is not very intuitive.  I wish the PASOE installer would have some simple check boxes to include adminserver/OEE, nameserver, and the JMS adapter.  Based on my experience a PASOE installation is incomplete until these have all been installed.

Posted by dbeavon on 07-Nov-2018 14:43

So it would appear that I lost my nameserver somewhere along the way.  That is a pretty big problem because we (apparently) rely on that nameserver before we can enable messaging (ie. allow the use of [Adapter.sonicMQ1] in ubroker.properties).  In short, PASOE is unable to use the JMS adapter or send messages to our Jboss AMQ Broker (IBM-RedHat).

Fortunately there are two entries in my product list for OE 11.7.x that I haven't tried yet.  See below.  When I click on these, they immediately give me some "free" serial numbers and control numbers so I'm assuming I have rights to install these on a PASOE server:

We are currently running 11.7.4 so I'm hoping that I can simply run the "license update utility" to add these into the PASOE server's license file.   Hopefully I will eventually muddle my way to a solution.  This stuff is not very intuitive.  I wish the PASOE installer would have check boxes to include adminserver/OEE, nameserver, and the JMS adapter.  Based on my experience a PASOE installation is incomplete until all these have been installed.

Posted by dbeavon on 07-Nov-2018 14:44

Posted by dbeavon on 07-Nov-2018 16:02

So far it would seem that installing nameserver on the PASOE server seemed to do the trick.  As I mentioned before, the serial and control numbers were listed for "free" in my ESD under either of the following links, in the product list.  

*) Progress OpenEdge JMS Adapter

*) NameServer

I re-used my 11.7.4 WIN32 64 bit download, and simply added nameserver product by using the serial and control that was provided.

So far so good.  I now have PASOE-prod, with adminserver-OEE with nameserver.  And I was able to get the "jms adapter" running by simply making edits to the ubroker.properties file under the section [Adapter.sonicMQ].

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 13-Nov-2018 07:19

From OpenEdge version 11.7.2 onward,  AdminServer and NameServer are not needed to start the JMS Adapter.

In 11.7.2, we have added a new component named "OpenEdge JMS Adapter". Install it along with PASOE and just start the adapter using oemessaging.bat (NT) / oemessaging (Unix) script located in $DLC/bin/ folder.

You are all set for using JMS with PASOE. For more information, please refer to "OpenEdge Service Pack 11.7.2 New Information" guide:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../fileField

Hope, it helps you.

This thread is closed