pasman create with abl_application_name

Posted by Rutger Olthuis on 13-Sep-2018 07:52

Hi there,

Currently I'm following the "Introduction to Progress Application Server for OpenEdge for Developers" course from Progress.com/edu.
At one point it tells me to use pasman to create an instance of the PAS server and give it the name Sports :

pasman create -j 9909 -p 9910 -P 9911 -s 9912 -N MyPAS C:/OpenEdge/WRK/oepas2 Sports

However.. when I add the server in my server view, I cannot select the Sports app. Only the MyPass app.
In the openedge.property file for that application server, I can only see the MyPass application in the AppServer configuration.

Also since pasman calls tcman, I can see no option to add the application name in tcman... so I wonder if something is changed in OE 117 or in the later service packs. It's so not helpfull to follow an online course and the exercise doesn't work as described.

Please advice .

With kind regards,

Rutger

Posted by Jeffrey Z. Wolf on 14-Sep-2018 10:52

Hello Rutger

There is an issue in 11.7.3.

It is addressed in a later release.

In the meantime:

Build the application.

You may need to manually compile GetFirstCustomerName.p

(select file, right click, select compile).

You may need to manually copy GetFirstCustomerName.r to the instance's ablapps directory

Also ensure that the ablapps directory for the instance is in the instance's PROPATH

(double click on PAS instance in server's view

select launch configuration

Select PROPATH tab

Select Add External directory

Select the ablapps directory for the PAS instance)

Restart the PAS instance

Run the client application. It should connect to the PAS instance, run the procedure and return the Customer name.

All Replies

Posted by Jeffrey Z. Wolf on 13-Sep-2018 09:00

Hello Rutger

I pulled up that course ("Introduction to Progress Application Server for OpenEdge for Developers") and followed along as you describe. But in my case I got screens exactly in line with what the course shows.

That is not from the course document but from my system.

If you are not seeing the Sports app, check the directory where pasman created the instance  C:/OpenEdge/WRK/oepas2. In my case under that directory was subdirectory \ablapps and under that a subdirectory Sports. If the Sports subdirectory is not there, that might explain the issue.

Posted by Ruben Dröge on 13-Sep-2018 09:11

Tried it myself as well with OE11.7.3 and got the same results as Rutger did.

I have a subdirectory in the ablapps folder, but it has the same name as my instance (oepas2 in my case) and not Sports...

Posted by Jeffrey Z. Wolf on 13-Sep-2018 15:50

I concur. In 11.7.0 it works as described in the training materials. In 11.7.3 it works as you describe.

Posted by Rutger Olthuis on 14-Sep-2018 04:08

Thanks for testing both setups.

Posted by Rutger Olthuis on 14-Sep-2018 04:16

So what's the next step here?

Posted by Jeffrey Z. Wolf on 14-Sep-2018 10:52

Hello Rutger

There is an issue in 11.7.3.

It is addressed in a later release.

In the meantime:

Build the application.

You may need to manually compile GetFirstCustomerName.p

(select file, right click, select compile).

You may need to manually copy GetFirstCustomerName.r to the instance's ablapps directory

Also ensure that the ablapps directory for the instance is in the instance's PROPATH

(double click on PAS instance in server's view

select launch configuration

Select PROPATH tab

Select Add External directory

Select the ablapps directory for the PAS instance)

Restart the PAS instance

Run the client application. It should connect to the PAS instance, run the procedure and return the Customer name.

Posted by Rutger Olthuis on 17-Sep-2018 02:41

Thanks. I did manage to run the App just on the default myPas application, so that's no problem. Was just wondering why I followed the guide and still didn't get application name. Not blocking though.

This thread is closed