"error: bad command line option" from tcman deploy

Posted by dbeavon on 12-Sep-2018 19:50

I'm using PASOE (development mode) v. 11.7.3 on x64 windows.  I was trying to rebuild my PASOE instance today and started running thru some notes of mine.

First I create the instance without problems.

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\tcman create -p 8831 -P 8832 -s 8833 C:\OpenEdge\WRK\oepas4

Then I try to create an application and I get a strange error:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\tcman deploy -I oepas4 %CATALINA_HOME%\extras\manager.war

... yields ...

error: bad command line option
OK - deployed C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\extras\manager.war to local directory C:/OpenEdge/WRK/oepas4/webapps as application

Notice the message : "error: bad command line option"

If I dig into this a bit further, it seems to be coming from this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\jtlr.bat" C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\extras manager.war -t -v"

... which is coming from this:

PowerShell.exe -executionpolicy bypass -File "C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\tcmanager.ps1" tcman deploy -I oepas4 C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\extras\manager.war

It sure would be nice if this stuff were easier to troubleshoot.  I'm a bit stumped and worried that I may have to reinstall all of Progress along with SP 3 of 11.7.

I thought I would post a question here in case anyone has seen that "error".   You can reproduce it simply by copying the following straight into a proenv command prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\jtlr.bat" C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\extras manager.war -t -v"

Posted by dbeavon on 12-Sep-2018 20:22

I think I realize what my problem is. 

I had a support case a few months ago where I was given a custom version of tcmanager.ps1 .  It was developed on 11.7.4 and I applied it over top of my 11.7.3 installation. 

I suspect that it relies on a different version of jtlr.bat (ie. my jtlr.bat has version inconsistences with my tcmanager.ps1).  Below is the call from one to the other and a new parameter -v is applied.

So hopefully when the real 11.7.4 comes out the problem will go away again.

The custom tcmanager.ps1 was put in place to resolve larger issues, so I guess I picked my poison.  Here are the larger issues.

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/File-contention-errors-on-catalina-instance-name-pid-and-catalina-pid-tmp-when-using-tcman-env

I'm betting that -v is supposed to be used for verbose output, so I might just remove it since it probably doesn't serve any real purpose in 11.7.3 (development mode).

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 12-Sep-2018 20:22

I think I realize what my problem is. 

I had a support case a few months ago where I was given a custom version of tcmanager.ps1 .  It was developed on 11.7.4 and I applied it over top of my 11.7.3 installation. 

I suspect that it relies on a different version of jtlr.bat (ie. my jtlr.bat has version inconsistences with my tcmanager.ps1).  Below is the call from one to the other and a new parameter -v is applied.

So hopefully when the real 11.7.4 comes out the problem will go away again.

The custom tcmanager.ps1 was put in place to resolve larger issues, so I guess I picked my poison.  Here are the larger issues.

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/File-contention-errors-on-catalina-instance-name-pid-and-catalina-pid-tmp-when-using-tcman-env

I'm betting that -v is supposed to be used for verbose output, so I might just remove it since it probably doesn't serve any real purpose in 11.7.3 (development mode).

This thread is closed