Remote client db / appserver connection

Posted by danielStafford on 12-Sep-2018 11:09

I have a point-of-sale application (GUI for .NET) that I install for my customers via GoToAssist. All of my multi-user installs (database, application server, client networking licenses) have been configured to run on private lans. My connection string to the “server” from each client is: AppService ShopAS -DirectConnect -S 18683 -H <posServer> -sessionModel Session-free. Everything works great. My most recent customer has a shop where I set up his database and Appserver along with the application code.

The ubroker.properties entry for ShopAS is:

[UBroker.AS.ShopAS]

appserviceNameList=ShopAS

autoStart=1

brkrDebuggerKeyAlias=default_server

brkrLogAppend=0

brokerLogFile=C:\GSS\Shop\server\log\gsBroker.log

controllingNameServer=NS1

environment=ShopAS

keyAlias=default_server

mqBrokerLogFile=@{WorkPath}\ShopAS.mqbroker.log

mqServerLogFile=@{WorkPath}\ShopAS.mqserver.log

operatingMode=State-free

portNumber=18683

PROPATH=.,.\shared,.\server

registerNameServer=1

srvrLogAppend=0

srvrLogFile=c:\gss\Shop\server\log\gsServer.log

srvrStartupParam=-pf c:\gss\Shop\server\pf\pos-as.pf

srvrStartupProc=services\startserver.p

srvrStartupProcParam=-T c:\GSS\Shop\wrk -rereadnolock

uuid=2158bfd799119933:-216f99cd:14861ef27da:-7e41

workDir=c:\GSS\Shop\bin

My customer insists on a remote client connection. The “server” is in Nevada and the “client”, which I haven’t set up yet, is in Callifornia. All the data that I send from/to my database is in ProDataSets. I’ve never dealt with remote clients. Do I set up a VPN. Does the “server” need a static IP address that I add it to my connection string?  I really appreciate any help you can give. 

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 12-Sep-2018 11:27

The client needs to know where the appserver is so a static ip is the best way. I would advise the customer that they need to setup a VPN and not go over public network.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 12-Sep-2018 12:02

yes, definitely use a VPN. also, test well before going into production. you may find performance to be less than you expected.

-gus

All Replies

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 12-Sep-2018 11:27

The client needs to know where the appserver is so a static ip is the best way. I would advise the customer that they need to setup a VPN and not go over public network.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 12-Sep-2018 12:02

yes, definitely use a VPN. also, test well before going into production. you may find performance to be less than you expected.

-gus

This thread is closed