PASOE WebSpeed compatibility handler - how to turn off '

Posted by brianlafertewk on 16-Aug-2018 06:17

Is there a way to turn off the LogMgrWrtr messages relating to the HTTP methods that the WebSpeed compatibility handler does not support?  Ex: 

LogMgrWrtr [OE.W.InternalWebRouter ERROR] Error handling request for path using handler OpenEdge.Web.CompatibilityHandler
LogMgrWrtr Error(s) raised:
LogMgrWrtr ReturnValue: Method HEAD is not supported by WebSpeed compatibility handler.

LogMgrWrtr [OE.W.InternalWebRouter ERROR] Error handling request for path using handler OpenEdge.Web.CompatibilityHandler
LogMgrWrtr Error(s) raised:
LogMgrWrtr ReturnValue: Method OPTIONS is not supported by WebSpeed compatibility handler.

The requests generating these messages are coming from links embedded in Excel documents.  Excel 'tests' the waters before opening links.  Since I have other WebHandler services running on the same server, I don't want to reject these methods on the web server side.  

Is there a switch/setting/line-of-code-I-can-hack-out that will remove these unneeded messages from the logs?

I am running OpenEdge 11.7.2 on WIndows.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted by Peter Judge on 16-Aug-2018 11:10

If you just want to change the log output, read on. If you want to change the behaviour (ie an error thrown or a different log level like Info), please log a bug.

You’ll see those message (by default) when the agent’s logging-level is 2 ( OpenEdge.Logging.LogLevelEnum:Error ) or greater.

The default log writer is the LOG-MANAGER, but you can handle redirect InternalWebRouter’s log messages  via a config file.

Create a file called logging.config in PROPATH somewhere (before any other files similarly named), with these contents.
{
  "logger": {
    "OpenEdge.Web.InternalWebRouter": {
      "logLevel": "OFF",
      "filters": ["VOID_WRITER"]
    }
  }
}

This will turn off all logging for that InternalWebRouter (but only that component) which may suffice in the short term.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 16-Aug-2018 11:10

If you just want to change the log output, read on. If you want to change the behaviour (ie an error thrown or a different log level like Info), please log a bug.

You’ll see those message (by default) when the agent’s logging-level is 2 ( OpenEdge.Logging.LogLevelEnum:Error ) or greater.

The default log writer is the LOG-MANAGER, but you can handle redirect InternalWebRouter’s log messages  via a config file.

Create a file called logging.config in PROPATH somewhere (before any other files similarly named), with these contents.
{
  "logger": {
    "OpenEdge.Web.InternalWebRouter": {
      "logLevel": "OFF",
      "filters": ["VOID_WRITER"]
    }
  }
}

This will turn off all logging for that InternalWebRouter (but only that component) which may suffice in the short term.

Posted by brianlafertewk on 16-Aug-2018 11:49

Thanks Peter.  Adding the logging.config entry will work for now.  Is this feature in the documentation somewhere?

If would be nice if this logger could be configured to see errors but not warnings (or see both, or just warnings), rather than 'level' based.  I've been using something similar for years, kind of a modified log4j (I call it log4p).  

Do you think the 'error' in this case isn't really better classified as a 'warning'?

Posted by Peter Judge on 16-Aug-2018 12:18

The logging feature will be (the doc is in our backlog). The feature is based more-or-less on slf4j  (https://www.slf4j.org/) , which is where the level-based logging comes from.

Currently it’s a “if the logger’s level is >= the log message level then print” algorithm. The logger uses an interface called ILogWriter and the builders that produce such a beast are extensible enough so that you could add your own “if log message level = one of the logger’s levels” approach too. But that’s obvs contingent on doc.

> Do you think the 'error' in this case isn't really better classified as a 'warning'?

I do, kinda. But that’d require a change in the OpenEdge.Web.CompatibilityHandler to make it log a message and not throw and exception. It would also allow you to configure a logger for just that handler and have that hide all the to-you-useless messages.

Please log a bug for the above.

Posted by brianlafertewk on 06-Sep-2018 07:03

Peter,

Is there any confirmation in the startup logs that this logging.config is read?  I have added it to the propath (a file named logging.config with the contents posted here) and restarted the entire PASOE instance, yet I still see this messages.

This is under 11.7.2.014.

Also, I logged the bug as you suggested.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-Sep-2018 07:32

Thanks for logging that bug.

There’s currently no confirmation. Until 11.7.4 and the inclusion of issue ADAS-8381 there’s no concept of logging at all in the starting/invocation of loggers (errors are swallowed basically). ADAS-8381 adds error logging but could conceivably be used for what you’re asking (but doesn’t).

This thread is closed