smtpmail.p; email is successfully accepted for delivery, but

Posted by Venky on 02-Aug-2018 10:54

Is there a way I can get Event ID or Event Record ID from smtpmail.p(if that is a thing) to be able to relate the failure later.

Problem is that we update that an email is sent when infact it has failed after many tries, will need to trace it to log an say it is failed.

All Replies

Posted by scott_auge on 02-Aug-2018 12:32

Not from a mail transport agent program (like postfix, exchange, or sendmail.)  All they will do is send an error to the email for such errors (such as from postmaster@yourdomain.com to youremailaccount@yourdomain.com.)  So you need a way to read from the same mailbox your writing to.

Look at pop3 code in www.oehive.org/.../ for a way to get the email and then you will need to parse the email that was received.

Not the error email does not come back immediately, as the MTA might be set to try a couple of times and then give up in failure.

Posted by Venky on 04-Aug-2018 07:32

sure, that would work. But that only confirms there was a failure. Is there anyway I can relate that failure to the windows event that would have more detail on why it failed?

Or is there any other log I can look at??

Posted by scott_auge on 04-Aug-2018 12:30

Ya can't.  The MTA is to far up the TCP stack to realize if it is a router, the receiving MTA is turned off, a wire is unplugged, DNS is screwed up, etc.  It can just tell if it connected to the receiving MTA, if that mailbox is there, and if the mail box is full or the message is to long (it really depends on the receiving MTA though who might not say anything).  That goes into the email back as postmaster.

Posted by Venky on 05-Aug-2018 00:41

Thank you

Posted by gus bjorklund on 05-Aug-2018 16:28

also, sometimes stuff just disappears with no error indications of any kind. and sometimes the message will show up two weeks later.

>

> Ya can't. The MTA is to far up the TCP stack to realize if it is a router, the receiving MTA is turned off, a wire is unplugged, DNS is screwed up, etc. It can just tell if it connected to the receiving MTA, if that mailbox is there, and if the mail box is full or the message is to long (it really depends on the receiving MTA though who might not say anything). That goes into the email back as postmaster.

>

This thread is closed