Java Subscription

Posted by oedev on 30-Jul-2018 05:08

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaseproducts/overview/javasesubscriptionfaq-4891443.html

From January 2019 onwards, Oracle will be charging a subscription for Java SE.

For the version bundled with Openedge, will a subscription be payable and who will pay, Progress or ISV?

Thanks

Posted by Rob Straight on 30-Jul-2018 10:56

Progress is in discussions with Oracle to sort out what this means, both for Progress and for our customers. Once that is clear, we will update the community.

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 30-Jul-2018 07:49

I think anyone that is running java is supposed to pay.  And even if java is bundled, I think Oracle wants the subscriptions paid by us to them.  (ie. product developers like Progress do the work to distribute java, and then Oracle reaps the benefits from the end users).

We are primarily a .Net shop and are somewhat out of the loop when it comes to the state of Java.  I think a lot of what Oracle is doing is trying to scare companies into paying for subscriptions.  

I've never needed to call Oracle for Java support as long as we've run the java products in OpenEdge (adminserver, nameserver, appserver brokers, sonic adapters, eclipse, and what-not).  Note that Oracle is still offering java SE for free (see www.oracle.com/.../faqs-jsp-136696.html ) and that is unlikely to change.  But given the amount of java in Progress and these "licensing and support changes" from Oracle, I can see why a Progress customer might want to start pay Oracle for a support subscription - especially if they are motivated to do so by fear.  But I'm still a bit doubtful that Oracle is ever going to prevent people from gaining access to critical security updates or bug fixes.  Doing that would instantly cause people to fear java apps.  I'm interested to hear what others have learned about these changes, and the practical impact for customers who don't start paying subscriptions.

Posted by oedev on 30-Jul-2018 08:15

Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure about Java SE being free, the link I posted specifically mentions Java SE subscriptions and their cost.

Are we (or Progress) meant to use OpenJDK if don't require support, as apperently it will be functionally interchangeable with Java SE ? blogs.oracle.com/.../a-quick-summary-on-the-new-java-se-subscription

Posted by scott_auge on 30-Jul-2018 09:55

I would be very surprised if Progress would allow themselves to be caught in a situation where a competing database company would need to be paid for their platform.

But Oracle has pulled this kind of thing in the past with their software (hence one of the reasons I am a big Progress fan) and should give Progress (who at one time wrote most of their stuff in C/C++) pause about the big Java push in the last few years.  

After all, what better way to snatch customers from Progress if they need to call Oracle anyways.

Posted by Rob Straight on 30-Jul-2018 10:56

Progress is in discussions with Oracle to sort out what this means, both for Progress and for our customers. Once that is clear, we will update the community.

Posted by maynardr on 15-Oct-2018 05:44

Has there been any progress on the Oracle License issue?

My company has been asked to prepare list of development and runtime copies of JDK and JRE that we depend on (tens of thousands). Many are there because of our OpenEdge environments. Are there any plans yet on whether to stick with usupported (by Oracle) java env?, or find differant supplier(s)?

Posted by Ruanne Cluer on 24-Dec-2018 12:13

You may want to take a look at the following which discusses the impact both on OpenEdge developers and users of OpenEdge applications:

community.progress.com/.../3662

This thread is closed