Documenting APIs

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 26-Jul-2018 12:26

I'm working on an OE 11.7 project which has an increasing number of APIs and I was wondering what other people do to document APIs in an easy-to-use format. I'm particularly interested in tools that can be seeded from a program which reads the source code and generates output that can be loaded into the tool to periodically update the platform. 

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 26-Jul-2018 12:54

We generate HTML documentation like this:

Using a customized version of

Von: Tim Kuehn <bounce-timk519@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2018 19:27
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Documenting APIs

/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/47273.image001.png
Update from Progress Community
/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/67383.image002.png

I'm working on an OE 11.7 project which has an increasing number of APIs and I was wondering what other people do to document APIs in an easy-to-use format. I'm particularly interested in tools that can be seeded from a program which reads the source code and generates output that can be loaded into the tool to periodically update the platform. 

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Das Bild wurde vom Absender entfernt.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 26-Jul-2018 12:57

The ABLDoc stuff works pretty good.

Posted by Peter Judge on 26-Jul-2018 13:10
Posted by Mike Fechner on 26-Jul-2018 13:16

Looks familiar &#128522;

For completeness, there’s also ABLDuck in PCT

for

Von: Peter Judge <bounce-pjudge@community.progress.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2018 20:12
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Documenting APIs

/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/655107.image001.png
Update from Progress Community
/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/3603.image002.jpg

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Das Bild wurde vom Absender entfernt.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 26-Jul-2018 14:31

I looked at the ABLDoc stuff and the docs appear to assume it's being run from PDS or ANT. Is there stand-alone way to call it?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 26-Jul-2018 14:35

I've only ever used it from the Progress OpenEdge > Generate ABLDoc context menu, but I think the only to execute it "stand alone" is via ant.

Posted by Peter Judge on 26-Jul-2018 14:40

There are a couple of Ant tasks available in OE.

I thought they were collected in one place but you can find them with this query.

This thread is closed