Spell checker in 'good' old abl gui

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 04-Jul-2018 07:17

Our customer has a ABL GUI, you know with the Windows 95 look-n-feel, and wants spellings check in all editors.

Has anyone implemented this before and remebers how and with what? If yes would you share it?

I presume it will be an activex control and hopefully it is able to use the MSWORD spellcheck in the bachground.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jul-2018 08:04

Did you consider donating them a red permanent marker?  :-)

Seriously. For that functionality, you should look out for an Active X Control - or better move to .NET Controls.

"Is there some way that I can place a .Net TextBox on a Progress Frame?"

Yes - using Embedded Windows. You can embed the ABL Window into a .NET Form and then add .NET Controls on top of the ABL Window.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jul-2018 07:20
Posted by DenDuze on 04-Jul-2018 07:50

haha, this is funny, I'm also looking for this functionality for about a week or so.

My experience (for what is worth)

There is a SpellChecker in the telerik Suite.

This one works and if you use .net TextBoxes you can use the BackGroundChecking to get a Word-like Spellcheck (so the misspelled words are red underlined or background marked).

This Telerik SpellChecker does not have many options to set how to control the way a text is checked but maybe it is good enough for your situation

While I'm here I will ask a question about this because I already wanted to ask this on the forum:

Is there some way that I can place a .Net TextBox on a Progress Frame?

If there is I could use this BackGroundChecking on a Progress GUI window.

I also got an SpellChecker ActiveX working that has many more options to control the way a text is checked but I have no idea if I can use an ActiveX (OCX) on a .Net Form (again because I would like to get the backGroundChecking).

So to get this BackGroundChecking I'm now trying to get a dll-version (of that ActiveX) working but @this moment I can't get that working. I'm working with the support of that company to see what goes wrongh with that.

So finally it depends on how much you want to control what rules need to be checked on your text and if you use a Progress widget or a .Net TextBox and what type of check that you want (BackGround while typing or on save or one some action).

These 2 options (Telerik and ActiveX/dll) do not use the MSWORD spellcheck so maybe you will not be interested in these but I just wanted to mention about these

Regards

Didier

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 04-Jul-2018 07:57

Thanks Mike!

Sorry but I forgot to mention:

They also want the red scribbly line under wrongly spelled words ... while editing.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jul-2018 08:04

Did you consider donating them a red permanent marker?  :-)

Seriously. For that functionality, you should look out for an Active X Control - or better move to .NET Controls.

"Is there some way that I can place a .Net TextBox on a Progress Frame?"

Yes - using Embedded Windows. You can embed the ABL Window into a .NET Form and then add .NET Controls on top of the ABL Window.

Posted by DenDuze on 04-Jul-2018 08:27

@Richard: You wrote "They also want the red scribbly line under wrongly spelled words ... while editing."

That is just what I writing about, that is the BackGroundChecking or check while you write

@Mike: as far as i know our ABL windows are placed on a .NET form.

You mean to create the .Net control and put it on the .Net Form exactly on the wanted location on the ABL Window?

I think that will be hard to do.

We have already many ABL Windows and I was planning to overlay all editors with a .Net TextBox @runtime to get the BackGroundChecking dynamically available on our ABL Windows.

But If I need to parent my TextBox with the .Net form instead of the ABL Window that will be not so easy to do (I guess)

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 04-Jul-2018 08:32

I did think about using a .NET control but could not figure out how.

Thanks again!

This thread is closed