PAS OE - Where do i find application errors ????

Posted by mauromarchi on 07-May-2018 11:37

Hi to all

I am trying to study and understanding new PAS OE version 11.7[A]

I use OE 10.2B and  i use it to write WebSpeed applications...

With classic Webspeed and version 10.2b i found errors in c:\openedge\wrk\log\<my brokername>.server.log

I receive nothing launching URL below ...

http://oe-s01.gruppocomet.net:8820/webapp/web/wsp_cliente.r?codcli=1301105500

My suspect there is an error because wsp_cliente is a  cgi-wrapper that use a statement like this

ASSIGN HWebContext = WEB-CONTEXT:CONFIG-NAME.

In Classic WebSpeed environment i used that statement to know the name of the broker in the URL.

(With different webspeed brokers i ran different RUN on <APPSERVER>)

In PAS OE , URL to launch is different ...and i am trying to undesrtstand how to obtain the bold part of the URL

http://oe-s01.gruppocomet.net:8820/webapp/web/wsp_cliente.r?codcli=1301105500

oe-s01.gruppocomet.net:8820  that is name of server and port ...

I understood i have to use web handler created in Web App Project but i am not able to understand how ...

Besides where PAS OE stores log application errors ???

I checked all log files in file system and in <PA SOE ISTANCE> configuration in Openedge Explorer...

I f you have any ideas or samples about this problem , i will appreciate a lot.

Regards.

Posted by Peter Judge on 07-May-2018 12:02

Easy answer first: Logs are normally in the instance’s logs/ folder. The <abl-app>.agent.log is the equivalent to the old server log.\

In PASOE the default/initial configuration is to have one “ABL application” inside an instance. That ABL application can receive requests from HTTP and other clients. By default the ABL application name is the same as the instance name (so they’d both be, say, oepas1).

There isn’t a way to get the current ABL application name from within ABL code. But there also isn’t a separate between the webspeed agent and the appserver –both of those sets of functionality are running in the same set of ABL sessions in PASOE. There also isn’t a broker in PASOE.

My PUG Challenge session at  http://pugchallenge.org/downloads2017/284_web_handlers_deep_dive.pdf  (  http://pugchallenge.org/downloads2017.html ) has details on how you get the host name and other bits and pieces of information from the request. There are also some examples at github.com/.../web_handler

Posted by Matt Baker on 07-May-2018 11:47

In answer to your second question, you are looking for the agent log file.  All the log files are stored in <instance>/logs.  PASOE is different in that there is a log file per ABL application, rather than per broker.  So you will need to drill down to the ABL application level, and view the agent log file from there, rather than at the instance level.  Each PASOE instance may have multiple ABL applications, each of which is going to have a separate agent log file.

Posted by Matt Baker on 07-May-2018 17:50

Note that if you are using PDSOE, the agent log file can be displayed in the console view.  

to show it, right-click on the PASOE instance, and select show in->console.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 07-May-2018 11:47

In answer to your second question, you are looking for the agent log file.  All the log files are stored in <instance>/logs.  PASOE is different in that there is a log file per ABL application, rather than per broker.  So you will need to drill down to the ABL application level, and view the agent log file from there, rather than at the instance level.  Each PASOE instance may have multiple ABL applications, each of which is going to have a separate agent log file.

Posted by Peter Judge on 07-May-2018 12:02

Easy answer first: Logs are normally in the instance’s logs/ folder. The <abl-app>.agent.log is the equivalent to the old server log.\

In PASOE the default/initial configuration is to have one “ABL application” inside an instance. That ABL application can receive requests from HTTP and other clients. By default the ABL application name is the same as the instance name (so they’d both be, say, oepas1).

There isn’t a way to get the current ABL application name from within ABL code. But there also isn’t a separate between the webspeed agent and the appserver –both of those sets of functionality are running in the same set of ABL sessions in PASOE. There also isn’t a broker in PASOE.

My PUG Challenge session at  http://pugchallenge.org/downloads2017/284_web_handlers_deep_dive.pdf  (  http://pugchallenge.org/downloads2017.html ) has details on how you get the host name and other bits and pieces of information from the request. There are also some examples at github.com/.../web_handler

Posted by mauromarchi on 07-May-2018 17:13

Good evening Mr.Matt Baker

Thanks for your kind answer.

I did what you wrote ,, I found 2 log files under ABL Application Tab for the the istance i have.

They are called    ABL Application log file viewer  and Agent Log file Viewer

I opened   them and i found error ..

Thanks a lot.

PS: I have to understand better new concepts

INSTANCE

ABL Application

WEBapp

I imagine istance like old classic Webspeed Broker

But ABL Application and WebApp i cannot understand

If i have an old classic webspeed project named BTOB i have to run over a PAS OE Instance

This project consists of 10 different cgi wrappers...

I need to create 10 web app or 1 web app with a web handler that it concers all 10 ???

I am a bit confused...

If i put my cgi-wrappers in APPSERVER folder in web app project  they are all stored in </openedge

I'd like to distinguish my old projects...

ie  oe-s01.gruppocomet.net:8820/.../wsp_cliente.r

Posted by mauromarchi on 07-May-2018 17:24

Good evening Mr Peter Judge.

Thanks for your kind answer.

I will study your useful articles about web handlers...

Now i have a OE Project that consists of 10 cgi wrappers.

I created a new OE Web App Pas Oe Project

Now i ha ve to understand how to structure this project ..

I mean 10 web handlers or 1 web handler that read request and depending on that , run different business logic.

All of these 10 cgi wrappers , read parameters , execute business logic , create an xml a response.

Thanks a lot for all.

If you any other useful articles or sample projects i will be happy.

THANKS a lot !!!!!

Posted by Matt Baker on 07-May-2018 17:50

Note that if you are using PDSOE, the agent log file can be displayed in the console view.  

to show it, right-click on the PASOE instance, and select show in->console.

Posted by mauromarchi on 08-May-2018 07:40

Many thanks Mr.Baker

Posted by Peter Judge on 08-May-2018 08:06

> I mean 10 web handlers or 1 web handler that read request and depending on that , run different business logic.

This will depend on your project and your URL structures. You should probably play around a little with this – as you get more comfortable with WebHandlers you’ll figure this out (I believe).

One thing to note is that you should probably use the OpenEdge.Web.CompatibilityHandler to handle all of your Classic WebSpeed URLs.

Posted by mauromarchi on 08-May-2018 08:41

Thanks for suggestions.

Yes i need to understand very good web handlers class..

I read about class OpenEdge.Web.CompatibilityHandler  in your useful web handler pdf article.

I hope to be able to understand how to structure my new web apps projects...

In gifthub web site , i hope to have any web app projects with web transport ....

With an example i think i will be understand better.

Thanks again...i am really newbie about this.

This thread is closed