Directory Size Parameter

Posted by byoung2735 on 03-May-2018 06:06

Greetings,

I was wondering if there was any downside to increasing the size of the client -D parameter? Maybe more (measurable?) memory consumption or some other overhead?

Also, I doubt it, but is there any way to have the soft limit warnings when it's being automatically increased directed away from standard output?

Thanks.

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-May-2018 04:06

> if there was any downside to increasing the size of the client -D parameter?

Large -D value will provoke the r-code swap. Session writes to a (rcd*) temp file all r-codes in the -D directory that are not fitted into the -mmax memory.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 03-May-2018 06:55

The only downside I can see is increased initial memory consumption, but if you're hitting the limit regularly I don't see any reason not to increase -D to the point where you no longer hit the limit.

I don't think there's a way to redirect warnings but in 11.0 and up you can suppress individual warnings. 

SESSION:SUPPRESS-WARNINGS-LIST = "5410".

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-May-2018 04:06

> if there was any downside to increasing the size of the client -D parameter?

Large -D value will provoke the r-code swap. Session writes to a (rcd*) temp file all r-codes in the -D directory that are not fitted into the -mmax memory.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 15-May-2018 08:58

> On May 4, 2018, at 5:07 AM, George Potemkin wrote:

>

> Large -D value will provoke the r-code swap. Session writes to a (rcd*) temp file all r-codes in the -D directory that are not fitted into the -mmax memory.

That could be ameliorated by using a memory-mapped procedure library.

This thread is closed