OE.Net How to validate assemblies at runtime without PDSOE

Posted by cverbiest on 16-Apr-2018 08:55

In PDSOE you can see if the assemblies are OK by looking at the decorators in the project explorer view. If they are orange it's probably OK, if they are red something is wrong.

It doesn't show what is wrong but at least you see there is a problem.

Is there a similar tool to check for assembly issues in an environment where you don't have a PDSOE project ?

Having issues @ a customer site on some computers after the windows .Net 4.7 update.

I'd like to exclude issues with the assemblies.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Apr-2018 10:42

Hi Carl,

since you’re using out tooling, have a look at the tools in

Consultingwerk/Studio/AssembliesGenerator

That code can generate an assemblies.xml file based on the Assembly DLL files in a given folder. I’d assume, that this would also indicate errors with Assemblies.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by jquerijero on 17-Apr-2018 17:46

Give Dependency Walker by SysInternal a try. 

www.dependencywalker.com/

[quote user="cverbiest"]

In PDSOE you can see if the assemblies are OK by looking at the decorators in the project explorer view. If they are orange it's probably OK, if they are red something is wrong.

It doesn't show what is wrong but at least you see there is a problem.

Is there a similar tool to check for assembly issues in an environment where you don't have a PDSOE project ?

Having issues @ a customer site on some computers after the windows .Net 4.7 update.

I'd like to exclude issues with the assemblies.

[/quote]

Posted by DenDuze on 18-Apr-2018 01:06

I used the fuslogvw.exe (part of Visual Studio) a few times to find issues with assemblies.

docs.microsoft.com/.../fuslogvw-exe-assembly-binding-log-viewer

if you do not have that program you can activate the same by regedit that will write the logging fuslogvw.exe shows to disk.

Just put the following in regedit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fusion]

"ForceLog"=dword:00000000

"LogFailures"=dword:00000001

"LogResourceBinds"=dword:00000001

"LogPath"="c:\\logging\\AssembliesLog\\"

ForceLog = log all assemblies binding info, so this will also log the bindings that work fine (not really needed in your case but if you want this change the value to 00000001

LogPath: change to whatever path you like

I will not say that this is a sollution for you but with this and Dependency Walker I already fixed some problems with assemblies

Regards

Didier

This thread is closed