Upgrade OpenEdge Architect 10.2b08 to Developer Studio 11.7.

Posted by bernhardkraml on 13-Mar-2018 14:08

Hello,

can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some hints:

Until now I have my development in 10.2b.

Now I want to upgrade to 11.7.2 Developer Studio.

I installed the 32bit Version on my development-Computer (parallel to 10.2b) and copied the Project-Folder to a new Directory.

After starting the 11.7.2 studio, I got many Error-Messages regarding wrong version on a number of *.pl (ade, ...?)

So I think I did something wrong?

So please help me: What are the correct steps to migrate my Development-Environment?

I want to transfer as much as possible from my old setting.

Thanks!

-bernhard

All Replies

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 14-Mar-2018 11:42

Hi Bernhard,

The upgrade can be done in two ways.

1. Workspace migration: Entire workspace can be migrated from older version to the newer version by simply launching the old workspace with the newer version.

2. Importing: The OpenEdge ABL projects, workspace settings and the other required things can be exported from old workspace and imported into the new workspace .

During the migration you have to take care about the following things:

1. R-code: The old r-code from 10.2Bx  is not compatible with the 11.x branches. After migration you need to rebuild entire workspace as it is a major version change. If any .pl files are there, they must be rebuild with the new versioned r-code (.you may be getting the error due to the version compatibility)

2. Database migration: Database need to be updated. The following link has steps for the database migration from 10.x to 11.x

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000031654

3. Preferences: Preferences or settings also need to be migrated between Workspaces, apart from importing the projects. Database connections, Launch configurations, OpenEdge Explorer Connections and Working Sets need to be taken care separately for 11.7.2.

Database connections:

Database connections for the Workspace are located in:

<path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\com.openedge.pdt.project\databaseConnection.xml

Use the File > Import > General > Progress OpenEdge > Database Connections wizard to import them.

Launch configurations:

Launch configuration files will have the extension .launch and will be located in:

<path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.debug.core\.launches

Use the File > Import > Run/Debug > Launch Configurations wizard to import them.

OpenEdge Explorer Connections:

OpenEdge Explorer connections are defined / located in:

<path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\com.openedge.pdt.server

Go to Windows > Preferences > Progress OpenEdge > Server > OpenEdge Explorer Connections and use the Import wizard.

Working Sets:

Working sets for the Workspace are defined / located in:

<path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench\workingsets.xml

To import them,

- Backup workingsets.xml in the current / new Workspace.

- Close Developer Studio. (If Developer Studio is running then workingsets.xml is replaced then it will overwrite the new version with the old version when it exits.)

- Copy workingsets.xml from the original Workspace to <path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench in the new Workspace.

- Restart Developer Studio.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

Posted by bernhardkraml on 14-Mar-2018 11:53

Hello Ramadevi,

is there a way to import settings like editor Configuration (Expand Keyword, Case Correction)?

Thanks for your knowledge

-bernhard

Posted by Torben on 16-Mar-2018 05:21

File-Export
Select: General-Preferences

Exported file is plain text and will have lines like:
/instance/com.openedge.pdt.text/casekeywords=true
/instance/com.openedge.pdt.text/expansion=true

It is a good idea to edit file before importing. And always before sharing (contains information you might not want to share!) 

/Torben

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 19-Mar-2018 06:12

Hi Bernhard,

The OpenEdge preferences can be exported using File -> Export (General -> preferences) option. The outcome will be a .epf file which will be holding all the workspace preferences. Using File -> Import (General -> preferences) option, the exported preferences can be imported into another workspace. Please note that not all preferences support individual import and while editing the .epf care must be taken to not to disturb the file structure.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

Posted by Toni Perätalo on 22-Mar-2018 03:08

[quote user="Ramadevi Dhavala"]

Working Sets:

Working sets for the Workspace are defined / located in:

<path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench\workingsets.xml

To import them,

- Backup workingsets.xml in the current / new Workspace.

- Close Developer Studio. (If Developer Studio is running then workingsets.xml is replaced then it will overwrite the new version with the old version when it exits.)

- Copy workingsets.xml from the original Workspace to <path to workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench in the new Workspace.

- Restart Developer Studio.

[/quote]

Thank you Ramadevi! I've been wondering for a while, how to export the working sets :)

Regards, Toni

This thread is closed