how to use -Mm parameter in old Report Builder

Posted by Damien 3D on 09-Feb-2018 10:16

Hi All,

OpenEdge 10.2 on windows

I have a software made in progress with many reportbuilder in.

I try to improve the performance of the software, so i put the -Mm on the database, and client session. I put it to 3000 (default value is 1024)

It work well....until I test a ReportBuilder.

I use

RUN aderb/_prntrb2.p  to launch the report, and change the third parameter (RB_DB) to put the good -Mm. It don't work, RB is always connect with the default value 1024....and give an error.

Have you an idea how to put my -Mm to ReportBuilder ?

Do you know where the report builder source file can be find ? (_prntrb2.p and others). In DLC there is only the rcode.

Thanks for your help

Damien

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 09-Feb-2018 10:29

If this is the only application then you could try adding the -Mm setting to the startup.pf in the DLC directory. But if you have to connect to other databases then this will be a problem.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Feb-2018 10:45

I kind of recall that RB has an INI file hiding somewhere that you might need to track down.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 09-Feb-2018 10:48

I can look more deeply in a bit but I think there's an rbstartup.pf somewhere.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 09-Feb-2018 12:13

I haven't tested this yet but I think you can put your database parameters in rbstart.pf in the DLC directory (the directory where OpenEdge is installed). Create rbstart.pf if it doesn't exist.

Posted by George Potemkin on 09-Feb-2018 12:37

Solution: 18723 Type: L

Title: Report Builder, 1150 when converting reports from v7

Written by cfe 06/04/99

Report Builder, 1150 when converting reports from v7

DRAFT COPY  -  Currently under review and edit.

INTRODUCTION:

=============

In cases that the report has been developed against a Novell database the error message 1150:

Server has -Mm parm <1024> and client has <512>. They must match.

might appear.

WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS:

===========================

As the -Mm is stored internally in the report it is reset to this setting every time the report has failed. This k-base should provide steps to get around the message.

PROCEDURAL APPROACH:

====================

Check if the following subtree exist, if not create it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PSC\PROGRESS\(8.X/9.X)\RBSTARTUP\

Create the string value:

RBSTARTUP

with value:

"%DLC%\rpstartup.pf"

where %DLC% is your path to the rbstartup.pf

In the rbstartup.pf add the following:

-db database name -ld TEST -N TCP -S servicename -H hostname -Mm 1024

Should the 1150 error still appear, the start the database with the -Mm 512 and connect with each report in the newer Progress version and do the convert (open&save). Then start the database again with -Mm 1024 or whatever is used.

This will allow the reports to be used in the newer Progress verision.

REFERENCES TO WRITTEN DOCUMENTATION:

====================================

CFE 6/4-99

Posted by Damien 3D on 13-Feb-2018 02:07

Thanks All for your answers, il will try it.

is someone know if the "EngineParameters=-Mm 1024" in the [ReportBuilderDefaults] of the progress.ini always use by the ReportBuilder ? If yes, perhaps it can be the solution of my problem.

Thanks again

Damien

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 13-Feb-2018 07:19

The EngineParameters setting existed in version 7 but was removed in version 8. It is ignored now.

Posted by Damien 3D on 15-Feb-2018 07:44

so after a lot and a lot of tests, here are my conclusions

1  - when I put the -Mm with then good value in the %dlc%/startup.pf it work well. My value of the parameters is use in my client session and Report Builder

2  - when I put the -Mm with then good value in the c:\myfolder\startup.pf and call this file with the .ini of my session with the command : PROSTARTUP=C:\myfolder\startup.pf, the value of the -Mm is correct in client session, but not in reportbuilder

3  - when I put the -Mm with then good value in the c:\myfolder\rbstartup.pf and call this file with the .ini of my session with the

[RBStartup]

RBSTARTUP=c:\myfolder\rbstartup.pf

report builder don't know it....no effect...if i put a bad filename, no error, so i think it is no use.

4 - when I put then call of my rbstartup in then registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PSC\PROGRESS\10.2B\RBStartup\RBSTARTUP  ... no more effects....

so only the first works, but it is also the only one that does not suit me. Indeed our application servers host other software, and I do not want the setting of mine impact others.

Is there anything I did wrong? Someone would have an idea to help me?

thanks again

This thread is closed