How to add datavalue into database from text file

Posted by miha56155136 on 28-Dec-2017 16:07

Hello, everyone!

I have the strong problem. I want to add data from file into my created database. But I din't undestand quite normal, how to do it.

I have in database simple table Owner, that consist fields  Owner.Name, Owner.SurName, Owner.Telefon, Owner.E_mail.

And I have simple text file with data (ownerData.txt):

Mike;Park;7655548622;mike.park@gmail.com
Anna;Novak;34554123234;anna.novak@gmail.com

I want to write this value into database, I use code:

DEFINE VARIABLE oname  NO-UNDO LIKE Owner.Name.
DEFINE VARIABLE osurname NO-UNDO LIKE Owner.SurName.
DEFINE VARIABLE otelefon  NO-UNDO LIKE Owner.Telefon.
DEFINE VARIABLE oemail  NO-UNDO LIKE Owner.E_mail.

INPUT FROM ownerData.

FOR EACH Owner:
  IMPORT DELIMITER ";" oname, osurname, otelefon, oemail.
  DISPLAY oname osurname otelefon oemail.
END.

INPUT CLOSE.

But it didn`t work. OpenEdge Developer Studio told, that problem with line in code, where is delimiter.

I don't resolve this problem so long time.

Anyway, how to easy add data value from file into database using procedure and method?

Thank you for you help!

Posted by rayherring on 28-Dec-2017 16:57

There are a couple of problems I can see, for one, the 'INPUT FROM' doesn't look right, the other issue is that you have commas in your 'IMPORT' statement, which is what the thing is complaining about (notice how the error says 'Unable to understand after -- "DELIMITER ; oname", what that is saying is that something after that statement is confusing it (in this case the comma).

On a working one that I have, I do

INPUT FROM VALUE ("filename").

In your case, that would be

INPUT FROM VALUE ("ownerData.txt") (you may need to give it the full path if it isn't in your propath).

Once I have done that, I use a 'REPEAT' statement to loop through every line in the file, and 'IMPORT' them into what I want.

In your case, you could probably get away with just doing:

REPEAT:

IMPORT DELIMITER ";"
   oname
   osurname
   otelefon
   oemail.

END.

For an 'Import' statement (and certain other ones), I like to put each variable on its own line, just so I can read things easier.

Posted by rayherring on 28-Dec-2017 17:48

Yeah, you can read it into the DB, it's how I do it for our pricefiles from supplier CSV files.

Inside the 'repeat' you just need to do a create record statement and then set some field values.

Once you have created the record, you could 'release' the record and then do a 'find' statement on it (assuming you have enough info to find the record afterwards.

To find the record afterwards you would have to know what record you just did, which means still having the variables (or at least some of them).

For example:

REPEAT:

CREATE Owner.

IMPORT DELIMITER ";"

Owner.Name

Owner.SurName

Owner.Telefon

Owner.E_mail.

oname = Owner.Name.

osurname = Owner.SurName.

RELEASE Owner.

FIND Owner NO-LOCK WHERE Owner.Name = oname AND Owner.SurName = osurname NO-ERROR.

IF AVAIL ( Owner ) THEN DISPLAY Owner.

END.

Obviously I have made assumptions when it comes to the 'FIND' statement since I don't know how your indexes, etc... are set up.

This is also a very rough and dirty way, ideally you would have buffers defined so that you aren't using the default table buffer that OpenEdge provides, and you would probably have more error checking (maybe make it a transaction so it all has to be read successfully from the text file or none of it goes in, etc...), but that should give you ideas to help.

All Replies

Posted by rayherring on 28-Dec-2017 16:57

There are a couple of problems I can see, for one, the 'INPUT FROM' doesn't look right, the other issue is that you have commas in your 'IMPORT' statement, which is what the thing is complaining about (notice how the error says 'Unable to understand after -- "DELIMITER ; oname", what that is saying is that something after that statement is confusing it (in this case the comma).

On a working one that I have, I do

INPUT FROM VALUE ("filename").

In your case, that would be

INPUT FROM VALUE ("ownerData.txt") (you may need to give it the full path if it isn't in your propath).

Once I have done that, I use a 'REPEAT' statement to loop through every line in the file, and 'IMPORT' them into what I want.

In your case, you could probably get away with just doing:

REPEAT:

IMPORT DELIMITER ";"
   oname
   osurname
   otelefon
   oemail.

END.

For an 'Import' statement (and certain other ones), I like to put each variable on its own line, just so I can read things easier.

Posted by miha56155136 on 28-Dec-2017 17:30

Oh, thanks a lot for your answer! It's works!

Could you tell me: it's big diference for data value  - I read into database data from simple text file or cvs file?

How I can control, that it's show (display) data from database, not temporate variable value?

Posted by rayherring on 28-Dec-2017 17:48

Yeah, you can read it into the DB, it's how I do it for our pricefiles from supplier CSV files.

Inside the 'repeat' you just need to do a create record statement and then set some field values.

Once you have created the record, you could 'release' the record and then do a 'find' statement on it (assuming you have enough info to find the record afterwards.

To find the record afterwards you would have to know what record you just did, which means still having the variables (or at least some of them).

For example:

REPEAT:

CREATE Owner.

IMPORT DELIMITER ";"

Owner.Name

Owner.SurName

Owner.Telefon

Owner.E_mail.

oname = Owner.Name.

RELEASE Owner.

FIND Owner NO-LOCK WHERE Owner.Name = oname AND Owner.SurName = osurname NO-ERROR.

END.

Obviously I have made assumptions when it comes to the 'FIND' statement since I don't know how your indexes, etc... are set up.

This is also a very rough and dirty way, ideally you would have buffers defined so that you aren't using the default table buffer that OpenEdge provides, and you would probably have more error checking (maybe make it a transaction so it all has to be read successfully from the text file or none of it goes in, etc...), but that should give you ideas to help.

Posted by miha56155136 on 29-Dec-2017 10:18

I'm so sory for my silly question - I just start to study Progress and have no many best practic examples for my target. I created code follow your instructions:

INPUT FROM VALUE ("ownerData.txt").

REPEAT:
 CREATE Owner.
 IMPORT DELIMITER ";"
   Owner.Name
   Owner.SurName
   Owner.Telefon
   Owner.E_mail.
 oname = Owner.Name.
 otelefon = Owner.Telefon.
 oemail = Owner.E_mail.
 RELEASE Owner.

END.

I hope it's work, but I receive unexpected result. I have sequence (IdOwner_seq),
that must authomatly create ID record. In my database, that was created in Data Dictionary,
I aready have the Trigger procedure for my ID sequence:

TRIGGER PROCEDURE FOR ASSIGN OF Owner.IdPerson.
ASSIGN Owner.IdPerson = NEXT-VALUE(IdPerson_seq).

End for result database didn't create next record and next sequence value, wrote that Owner is already exist
with IdPerson 1.

Why sequence didn't add next value for next record?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 29-Dec-2017 10:48

The trigger needs to be for ON CREATE OF <table> instead of ON ASSIGN

Posted by miha56155136 on 29-Dec-2017 11:38

I'm so sorry, but Progress documentation suggest  ASSIGN.  

From documentation (https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P80479) :

For example, the following CREATE trigger for the Item table automatically assigns
a unique item number using NextItemNum sequence:

TRIGGER PROCEDURE FOR Create OF Item.
ASSIGN Item.ItemNum = NEXT-VALUE(NextItemNum).

If I undestand quite normal, in my project trigger should to be:
TRIGGER PROCEDURE FOR CREATE OF Owner.IdPerson.

UPDATE after 15 min:
I changed Trigger text (how I suggest), but it's not help.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 29-Dec-2017 12:00

You are misreading the article. 

The ABL has both an ASSIGN database trigger (it’s a field level trigger) and an ASSIGN statement.

In the article you link to, the code you want is this...

TRIGGER PROCEDURE FOR Create OF Item.
ASSIGN Item.ItemNum = NEXT-VALUE(NextItemNum).

The code shown in #2 in the article simply shows how to work with sequences in your application code.

Fields in a table which will get their value when a new record is created should use the TRIGGER PROCEDURE FOR Create OF <Table> code and in the trigger code you simply assign the <Table>.<Field> to NEXT-VALUE(<SequenceName>.

ASSIGN triggers (TRIGGER PROCEDURE FOR Assign of Table.Field) are used to do some processing when application code actually assigns a value to the field.  Putting your code in such a trigger will not work because it won’t be executed (i.e. your ABL code, where you do the create and assign of field values, isn’t assigning anything to the sequence field.

Since you are new, please note that I work in Tech Support at Progress and have about 23 years of experience in the ABL.  So ... in essence ... just trust me. <smile>

Brian

Posted by miha56155136 on 29-Dec-2017 13:08

Dear Brian, I`m so sorry that you think that I offended you with my doubts - of couse you are proffy, what why I asked:

why you suggest right tech solution and it must work, but I didn't caught working solution - of cause, I do something wrong.  Please, if for you it not hard, explain me my mistake.

First of all I changed my trigger. It's now look like:

And now I add in my project next code:

/* Fragment 1 begin */
DEFINE VARIABLE iCurrentOwnerNum AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.
ASSIGN
    iCurrentOwnerNum = CURRENT-VALUE(IdPerson_seq).
FIND FIRST Owner NO-LOCK WHERE Owner.IdPerson = iCurrentOwnerNum NO-ERROR.
/* Fragment 1 end */

/* Fragment 2 begin */

REPEAT:
 CREATE Owner.
 IMPORT DELIMITER ";"
   Owner.Name
   Owner.SurName
   Owner.Telefon
   Owner.E_mail.
 oname = Owner.Name.
 oemail = Owner.E_mail.
 RELEASE Owner.

END.
/* Fragment 2 end */

Why Fragment 1 work without any problem (I hope - it show info: Procedure complete), but Fragment 1 and Fragment 2
didn't work correctly together.
Now I have the result that was before. And I don't understand quite normal - why?

Posted by goo on 30-Dec-2017 04:18

Trigger procedURE FOR CREATE OF Owner.IdPerson should be
Trigger procedure for create of Owner.
Check manual:https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/dvref/trigger-procedure-statement.html

Sendt fra min iPad

29. des. 2017 kl. 20:09 skrev miha56155136 <bounce-miha56155136@community.progress.com>:

<ProgressEmailLogo-png_2D00_150x42x2-png> Update from Progress Community
<avatar-png_2D00_70x70x2-png>
miha56155136

Dear Brian, I`m so sorry that you think that I offended you with my doubts - of couse you are proffy, what why I asked:

why you suggest right tech solution and it must work, but I didn't caught working solution - of cause, I do something wrong.  Please, if for you it not hard, explain me my mistake.

First of all I changed my trigger. It's now look like:

And now I add in my project next code:
/* Fragment 1 begin */
DEFINE VARIABLE iCurrentOwnerNum AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.
ASSIGN
    iCurrentOwnerNum = CURRENT-VALUE(IdPerson_seq).
FIND FIRST Owner NO-LOCK WHERE Owner.IdPerson = iCurrentOwnerNum NO-ERROR.
/* Fragment 1 end */

/* Fragment 2 begin */

REPEAT:
 CREATE Owner.
 IMPORT DELIMITER ";"
   Owner.Name
   Owner.SurName
   Owner.Telefon
   Owner.E_mail.
 oname = Owner.Name.
 oemail = Owner.E_mail.
 RELEASE Owner.

END.
/* Fragment 2 end */

Why Fragment 1 work without any problem (I hope - it show info: Procedure complete), but Fragment 1 and Fragment 2
didn't work correctly together.
Now I have the result that was before. And I don't understand quite normal - why?

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by miha56155136 on 01-Jan-2018 11:23

Hello everyone!

I checked my code and tested it and I found out, that programm didn't see sequence file in database directory (WRK) -

I don't figure out how it may be, file with sequence is present, programm display next value of sequence

(now in database only 1 record, and sequence varriable iCurrentOwnerNum = CURRENT-VALUE(IdPerson_seq) equil 2),

and can show name file of sequence, but told - "sorry, I can't find file with sequence". Why?

Posted by goo on 01-Jan-2018 23:32

Try the manual:

https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/dmsrf/create-sequence.html

You do that in the dictionary tool when setting up the database...

Sendt fra min iPad

1. jan. 2018 kl. 18:25 skrev miha56155136 <bounce-miha56155136@community.progress.com>:

Update from Progress Community
miha56155136

Hello everyone!

I checked my code and tested it and I found out, that programm didn't see sequence file in database directory (WRK) -

I don't figure out how it may be, file with sequence is present, programm display next value of sequence

(now in database only 1 record, and sequence varriable iCurrentOwnerNum = CURRENT-VALUE(IdPerson_seq) equil 2),

and can show name file of sequence, but told - "sorry, I can't find file with sequence". Why?

<sequence_5F00_didn_2700_t_5F00_find1-png_2D00_320x240-png>

<sequence_5F00_didn_2700_t_5F00_find3-png_2D00_320x240-png>

<sequence_5F00_didn_2700_t_5F00_find5-png_2D00_320x240-png>

<sequence_5F00_didn_2700_t_5F00_find6-png_2D00_320x240-png>

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by miha56155136 on 02-Jan-2018 08:25

Hello, dear Goo, unfortunately link that you send me is not suitable - I use ABL, but in link use SQL syntax - I can`t use in my projekt SQL.

Posted by goo on 02-Jan-2018 09:11

You add the sequence in the database. Ref dictionarytool.. add sequence and then you can use next-value(...)

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Jan-2018 07:30

Miha,

Are you available today?

Brian

This thread is closed