PAS error for tcman - The instance alias name not registered

Posted by dbeavon on 20-Dec-2017 10:43

I just installed the 11.7.2  service pack.  Now my tcman commands have stopped working for my pas instance.

The tcman commands give the output:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\servers\pasoe\bin\tcman stop -I oepas1 -u tomcat:tomcat
The instance alias name not registered - oepas1

Whereas in OEE I can start and stop without any problem (runs as LocalSystem vs my personal domain credentials):

I'm not quite sure yet where tcman even looks for the registration of its "alias names".  I don't think it would be in the ubroker properties files, since pas is supposed to be independent of admin server.  But I thought I'd ask here before trying to run procmon and sift thru the file access, or windows registry access that is going on.

Could this be a problem in my openedge.properties?  Is there a way to validate that properties file, like we could with the ubroker.properties?  Another possibility is that the LocalSystem has access to a file that I can't read via my own credentials.  I sure wish the OEE console and the "tcman" commands would result in starting the same tomcat process running under the same credentials.

I also wasn't able to find that error message in my google search results which surprised me.

Any help would be appreciated.   Thansk, David

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Dec-2017 10:53

The  list of registered instances is stored in $DLC/servers/pasoe/conf/instances.* (depends on platform).

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Dec-2017 10:52

OEM uses the copy of tcman in the instance directory instead of the tcman in the "home" copy.

You will be better off using either pasman (which is in the PATH when running in proenv), or use the instance's copy of tcman.

Example:

>cd c:\openedge\wrk\oepas1

>bin\tcman stop

or

>pasman stop -I oepas1

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Dec-2017 10:53

The  list of registered instances is stored in $DLC/servers/pasoe/conf/instances.* (depends on platform).

Posted by dbeavon on 20-Dec-2017 11:39

Gotcha.  Thanks for the help.  I can see that the copy of tcman in the instance directory would bypass some of the difficulty I was having.

I did find the instances file as you pointed out ("instances.windows").  By updating that, I was able to get the original tcman command to work as well.

Any chance of adding something into tcman that will run the tomcat java process as LocalSystem instead of with user credentials?  What I'm doing now is I have to download pstools and run "psexec -s" to ensure that, when tomcat runs from tcman commands, it runs the same way it would when started from OEE.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 20-Dec-2017 11:42

David,

Try registering it as a Windows service (tcman has an option to do that).  You can then start it up under whatever account you want.

Brian

Posted by dbeavon on 20-Dec-2017 13:58

Thanks Brian.  I think that is the answer.  I suppose would then use regular windows service commands (net start/stop) instead of tcman.    And the service would be configured with the desired credentials (probably LocalSystem).

I think someone had once suggested that I should initially avoid the extra complexity of managing PASOE as a windows service;  but I think I'm ready for that.

Posted by Matt Baker on 20-Dec-2017 14:02

You can start/stop PAS instances via the command line, even if they are registered as a windows service.  The syntax is a bit different; something like

>oepas1\bin\tcman service oepas1 start

>oepas1\bin\tcman service oepas1 status

>oepas1\bin\tcman service oepas1 stop

This thread is closed