Error starting multiple production PAS instances on same mac

Posted by Blake Stanford on 13-Dec-2017 10:52

I have installed 2 pas instances on with the developer license on the same machine with no problems.  When I try to duplicate the process on with a production license only one instance will start at a time.  I get the following error from OEM:

Failed to start pas instance Test: Exception parsing the response: Unexpected character (''"'' (code 34)): was expecting comma to separate Array entries at [Source: { "start-action": "start","initial-state": "stopped","initial-processes": "0","exit-state": "started","exit-description": "PASOE instance stopped during startup due to errors...","exit-processes": "0","exit-status": "4","exit-errors": ["/agility/progress/wrk/11.7/Test/logs/catalina.2017-12-13.log:13-Dec-2017 10:44:33.875 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await StandardServer.await: create[localhost:8005]:"",13-12-2017 10:46:30.00 ERROR [main] One or more multi-session Agent startup failures - see Agent logfiles"]}; line: 1, column: 431]

Has anyone else had this situation?

Posted by Blake Stanford on 13-Dec-2017 11:48

I found the issue.  When creating an instance from OEM and I entered -1 for the shutdown port (UNIX) it added additional characters to the value.  When I went into Property configuration>advanced tab, the psc.as.shut.port is '`-1'.  I edited it to be just -1 and it works now.  It looks like there is a bug with the PAS Create page in OEM.

Thanks to all who replied.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 13-Dec-2017 11:07

This is a bug with tcman returning an improperly encoded JSON responses when there are multiple lines returned when errors are discovered in the log file, and/or when there are quotes embedded in the log file data.  The first part of the error is indicating that OEM handled it as best it could (tell you it encountered an error), but the response from tcman is unparsable due to the bad encoding.

I can't find a bug number for this, so please call tech support so it gets handled properly.

In the meantime, check the agent log file and catalina.log file for the real error.

You can run this to see the actual output from tcman:

>tcman pasoestart -timeout 60 -json -silent

Posted by Matt Baker on 13-Dec-2017 11:17

This is a reformat of the error, with the format corrected: (there is a missing comma in the "exit-errors" array:

var x = {

"start-action" : "start",

"initial-state" : "stopped",

"initial-processes" : "0",

"exit-state" : "started",

"exit-description" : "PASOE instance stopped during startup due to errors...",

"exit-processes" : "0",

"exit-status" : "4",

"exit-errors" : [

"/agility/progress/wrk/11.7/Test/logs/catalina.2017-12-13.log:13-Dec-2017 10:44:33.875 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await StandardServer.await: create[localhost:8005]:",

",13-12-2017 10:46:30.00 ERROR [main] One or more multi-session Agent startup failures - see Agent logfiles" ]

Posted by Blake Stanford on 13-Dec-2017 11:48

I found the issue.  When creating an instance from OEM and I entered -1 for the shutdown port (UNIX) it added additional characters to the value.  When I went into Property configuration>advanced tab, the psc.as.shut.port is '`-1'.  I edited it to be just -1 and it works now.  It looks like there is a bug with the PAS Create page in OEM.

Thanks to all who replied.

This thread is closed