Looking for a method to display process progress in a dashbo

Posted by nicolewells.n on 05-Dec-2017 06:56

I have a process that I need to create a dashboard to monitor. The process logs to a file and contains easily searchable segment identifiers, such as:

Process started
Download started
bla
bla
Download completed
Import started
bla
bla
bla
Import completed
etc
etc

What is the best method of graphically displaying this on a Splunk Dashboard? My thoughts were either a progress bar, or as a table listing each major step and an image that changes indicating the step's state (not started, running, finished). I haven't been able to figure out either one, although I got a lot closer on the table.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

All Replies

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 06-Dec-2017 02:35

For things like processes that need to complete, a progress bar feels like the most natural choice. But beware of multiple progress bars in sequence. For the life of me I cannot imagine why any developer chooses to show more than one progress bar to his user. A progress bar gives some form of feedback on how far the process is in its completion. Once the bar is full, the process is done.

Unless there is a second bar of course. And if there is a second, what tells me as a user that there isn't a third, fourth or even more. In other words: I suddenly have no clue how far the process is.

So if you cannot tell - as developer - how many steps you need to do, you might be better off using a table listing. Otherwise use a progress bar.

This thread is closed