Database ABL - why I didn't can fill in my database

Posted by miha56155136 on 28-Nov-2017 15:23

Hello!

I created the simple database using Data Dictionary. Start to fill it using Developer Studio, connection is created. But I didn't see in left corner my database structure and PUB - all is empty. From localhost admin console I can see database schema, tables, but not table fields...My is so happened?

I start to add record in my database - I  create method:

CLASS Data:

METHOD PUBLIC VOID Data_Entry(  ):

CREATE User.
ASSIGN User.Name="Mike".
User.Surname="Smith".
User.Telefon=323348622.
User.E_mail="mike.swith@gmail.com".
RETURN.

END METHOD.

END CLASS.

But Dev. Studio answered what table User is unknown. Why I can`t see my batabase in Dev. Studio and why I can't to add any record?

How to exactry right to bind and use database what was created with Data Dictionary in project.

I use Windows 8.1 OC  if it neccesary to check connection with database from comand console. 

Posted by Matt Baker on 29-Nov-2017 18:35

Hi,

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here.  

There are two things in play here The ABL and PDSOE itself (I assume that is what you mean by studio).  ( I assume) It sounds like you connected to the database through the data dictionary.

When connecting this way, the ABL knows about the database connection, but you didn't setup PDSOE itself.  They are separate things.  Code completion handled by PDSOE, compilation is handled by the AVM running in the background and associated with your project.

Normally when you setup a database connection you set this up in project properties so that PDSOE knows about it.  

Select project->properties->openedge->databases.   If your database is not listed there, you won't get code completion, but stuff will compile.  Add your database connection here.  Note that PDSOE assumes a database server (don't use single-user connections).  You can optionally have PDSOE start the database and also setup a SQL connection of you care to use the SQL explorer plugins to PDSOE as well.

Posted by jquerijero on 29-Nov-2017 13:49

Can you check the project's Properties for database connection? You will need a working connection to a database and is also selected(checked) for the project.

All Replies

Posted by jquerijero on 29-Nov-2017 13:49

Can you check the project's Properties for database connection? You will need a working connection to a database and is also selected(checked) for the project.

Posted by Matt Baker on 29-Nov-2017 18:35

Hi,

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here.  

There are two things in play here The ABL and PDSOE itself (I assume that is what you mean by studio).  ( I assume) It sounds like you connected to the database through the data dictionary.

When connecting this way, the ABL knows about the database connection, but you didn't setup PDSOE itself.  They are separate things.  Code completion handled by PDSOE, compilation is handled by the AVM running in the background and associated with your project.

Normally when you setup a database connection you set this up in project properties so that PDSOE knows about it.  

Select project->properties->openedge->databases.   If your database is not listed there, you won't get code completion, but stuff will compile.  Add your database connection here.  Note that PDSOE assumes a database server (don't use single-user connections).  You can optionally have PDSOE start the database and also setup a SQL connection of you care to use the SQL explorer plugins to PDSOE as well.

This thread is closed