PDSOE: Visual Designer : The type declaration for this compi

Posted by cverbiest on 13-Sep-2017 04:40

OE 11.7.1

My ABL.Net form code compiles and executes without error but when I try to open with  visual designer it displays

The type declaration for this compilation unit is null.

How to solve these kind of error ?

Which line to investigate ?

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 13-Sep-2017 04:48

.log shows the same message

!ENTRY com.openedge.pdt.ve 4 20001 2017-09-13 11:16:09.771
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred
!STACK 0
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: The type declaration for this compilation unit is null.
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesignerFormLoader.run(VisualDesignerFormLoader.java:258)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesigner.loadDesignEditor(VisualDesigner.java:557)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesigner.doSafeLoadDesignEditor(VisualDesigner.java:527)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesigner.doLoad(VisualDesigner.java:511)
	at com.openedge.pdt.design.editor.AbstractDesignEditor.loadDesignEditor(AbstractDesignEditor.java:982)
	at com.openedge.pdt.design.editor.AbstractDesignEditor$ClientServiceListener$1.run(AbstractDesignEditor.java:227)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.serialize.CodeSerializationException: The type declaration for this compilation unit is null.
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesignerFormLoader.getBaseType(VisualDesignerFormLoader.java:315)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesignerFormLoader.run(VisualDesignerFormLoader.java:159)
	... 6 more
Root exception:
com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.serialize.CodeSerializationException: The type declaration for this compilation unit is null.
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesignerFormLoader.getBaseType(VisualDesignerFormLoader.java:315)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesignerFormLoader.run(VisualDesignerFormLoader.java:159)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesigner.loadDesignEditor(VisualDesigner.java:557)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesigner.doSafeLoadDesignEditor(VisualDesigner.java:527)
	at com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.VisualDesigner.doLoad(VisualDesigner.java:511)
	at com.openedge.pdt.design.editor.AbstractDesignEditor.loadDesignEditor(AbstractDesignEditor.java:982)
	at com.openedge.pdt.design.editor.AbstractDesignEditor$ClientServiceListener$1.run(AbstractDesignEditor.java:227)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Posted by cverbiest on 13-Sep-2017 08:56

Using 64bit OpenEdge, is it normal that win32 command line arguments are passed to java ?

eclipse.buildId=4.5.2.M20160212-1500

java.version=1.8.0_101

java.vendor=Oracle Corporation

BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_GB

Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -data C:\Users\cvb\workspaces\workgit117

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 13-Sep-2017 09:04

Yes it is.

Posted by jquerijero on 13-Sep-2017 09:59

If your form has some other custom controls, you might need to open those individually in the designer and recompile. I'm not sure why PDSOE gets out-of-synch so much. I even encounter this on form that is already opened in the designer. The designer suddenly refreshes.

Posted by cverbiest on 14-Sep-2017 07:52

delete all rcode + recompile does not help, started case @ Tech support

Posted by tbergman on 14-Sep-2017 11:19

While I'm not sure that this particular issue will be solved, we solve many similar issues of having code that compiles fine but can't be loaded into the Visual Designer by forcing PDS to rebuild the cache.

This is not an obvious choice on any menu or form but can be accomplished by doing as follows:

1) Using the menu, choose Window/Preferences/Progress OpenEdge/Advanced/Class Cache.

2) There is a choice for "Limit scope of cache class information to:". Change this to whatever you're not set to now.

3) Press Apply. Wait until it finishes.

4) Change it back to the original setting. Press Apply (or OK). 

When this completes, your cache has been rebuilt and, hopefully, your problem has gone away. Either of steps 2 or 3 can take a while depending upon how many files need to be scanned. When I switch back to "Propath" in my environment, it takes 5 or 10 minutes to complete.

Posted by cverbiest on 15-Sep-2017 08:11

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it does not help.

I recompiled

Cleared cache (+/- 15 minutes)

same error message.

This thread is closed