Private overridable?

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 12-Sep-2017 08:46

Hi,

There is a way to make a protected method callable from a derived class but not overridable by making it FINAL.

Is there a way to do the opposite?

I.e. make a method overridable, but not callable by a derived class.

An example could be a protected abstract method that only the base class should call in a specific order or scenario.

The derived class is allowed or obliged to provide an implementation, but should never directly call the method.

It seems something like this is possible in c++ using "private virtual".

I was wondering if any construct in ABL could mimic this...

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/414746/override-but-dont-call and https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29412477/java-method-only-callable-by-superclass

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 13-Sep-2017 02:26

Sure, I gave the original problem another thought and in this case think I found a cleaner solution.

Nevertheless, I thought it was worth starting a discussion...

One other solution we thought off (but became redundant because of the refactoring) was to move the implementation of the method to another class (strategy pattern), and have that injected into the base class (composition!).

All Replies

Posted by marian.edu on 12-Sep-2017 11:04

Hi Lieven,

tell the truth I never thought such a thing even existed, looks more like a ‘almighty framework developer’ syndrome to me… over the years I’ve come to avoid both private and final (there is only one thing that is final and no one want to see that), so ‘private final’ is really an odd thing to need :(

Using private methods makes your code hard to test (usually framework developers write test that never fails so doesn’t need to be tested), final is just to say that thing is so perfect that no mortal should even attempt to tamper with it ;)

Just go with a protected abstract method and learn to trust those extending your beautifully crafted code…

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by agent_008_nl on 12-Sep-2017 12:18

What a fun OO is! I use *private* methods by default, no inheritance so no subtype polymorphism & protected whatever. No ridiculous 'abstract' nonsense. Public methods when needed. I'm overall not a fan of unit tests when units mean methods (for a start on some not too stupid criticism read rbcs-us.com/.../Why-Most-Unit-Testing-is-Waste.pdf), but I suppose you're already addicted to those green images beside each method and want to tell your manager about those high coverage percentages while your architecture is-a disaster anyway. Never *** up your architecture for testing purposes!

I want to be able to ruthlessly refactor your overcomplicated code and moreover not be hindered by your unit tests. Testing behaviours is not that bad.

There are c+ devs (and here I mean one of the most intelligent devs of c++ itself) that can and do without oo .. www.stlport.org/.../StepanovUSA.html  (danger, don't click on that link).

But I'm sure you love complexity (it makes one feel intelligent, eh ;-).

Posted by marian.edu on 12-Sep-2017 13:06

Didn’t knew you could be so funny Stefan, thanks for sharing your thoughts… still, wonder why those dreams about ‘ruthlessly’ refactoring my poorly written code? :)

Marian Edu
Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by jmls on 12-Sep-2017 13:29

oh Jeez Marian, there are _so_ many things wrong about your reply ;) Maybe it's transference ? :)

Posted by jmls on 12-Sep-2017 13:31

@Stefan - I *love* complexity .. it means that there is still so much to learn, because I'm obviously still not perfect ..

Posted by jquerijero on 12-Sep-2017 13:33

If it is not obliged, a custom event should work for this case.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 12-Sep-2017 22:20

@jmls There is a lot to unlearn sometimes, and decomplect. Simplicity is hard enough.

"Simplicity is a great virtue but it requires hard work to achieve it and education to appreciate it. And to make matters worse: complexity sells better."

"The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full humility, and among other things he avoids clever tricks like the plague."

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."

(Dijkstra)

www.infoq.com/.../Simple-Made-Easy

www.youtube.com/watch

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 13-Sep-2017 01:55

I don't want this thread to end up in another pro/con OO principles farce...

While I also try to favor composition over inheritance, even Bjarne Stroustrup mentions in the talk agent_008_nl recently referred to that inheritance still is an important tool in any OO developers toolbox either way...

Anyway, I'm rethinking the design of this particular piece of code.

It was based of an existing implementation, but might need some more refactoring to prevent the need for this *feature*...

Posted by agent_008_nl on 13-Sep-2017 02:19

Maybe you just don't need what you propose in your first mail. Maybe OO is possible without inheritance and subtype polymorphism. According to Stroustrup it is. And maybe you can program much more agile / simpler solutions without. I think it is that way (too much work to explain for now, watch f.e. the movie I postend earlier www.youtube.com/watch , this is from a spotify programmer and very well thought through).

I'm stuck myself with OO for the time being and want to make the best of it. That means a lot of disentangling / refactoring (for which I currently have a long during mandate). Without all complecting stuff life becomes easier.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 13-Sep-2017 02:26

Sure, I gave the original problem another thought and in this case think I found a cleaner solution.

Nevertheless, I thought it was worth starting a discussion...

One other solution we thought off (but became redundant because of the refactoring) was to move the implementation of the method to another class (strategy pattern), and have that injected into the base class (composition!).

Posted by jquerijero on 13-Sep-2017 09:50

Ask Progress for implementation of delegates. :)

Posted by Mike Fechner on 13-Sep-2017 10:36

+1
Von: jquerijero [mailto:bounce-jquerijero@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. September 2017 16:51
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Private overridable?

Update from Progress Community

Ask Progress for implementation of delegates. :)

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 13-Sep-2017 10:55

For those of us who are not OO experts, what would a delegate provide from an ABL perspective?

Posted by jquerijero on 13-Sep-2017 12:52

It's a construct that allows a class to literally delegate a work outside the class implementation without passing an object. This avoids dependency. It's functionally similar to callback construct.

Ex.

Class A

METHOD CHAR MyInfo() . . .

classB.AskAnotherClassInfo(NEW DELEGATE(MyInfo)) // somewhere in class A

Class B

DELEGATE SomeMethod()

METHOD AskAnotherClassInfo(SomeMethod proxy)

DO:

var = proxy(). // will run class A's MyInfo

END.

Here, class B has no reference dependency on class A.

Posted by marian.edu on 14-Sep-2017 00:46

It’s a .net thing Jeff, you can look at it like as a function pointer or a 'single method interface’… avoiding dependency can well be achieved by using interfaces or events so it’s not like we can live without it but I do feel Mike’s pain here, lots of .net assemblies using this so in order to use those from 4GL one need to write wrappers in .net :(

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by Mike Fechner on 14-Sep-2017 00:54

A single method interface that does not enforce the method name – just the signature.

It’s made for callbacks and it is the foundation for events (not only in .NET).

And – I’d love to see them in the ABL one day for ABL classes as well as support for ABL methods to implement .NET delegates (to avoid the need for the workaround that Marian described).

But it’s not on top of my OO wish list 😊 But not doing to hijack Jeffs thread with that.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 14-Sep-2017 01:50

Not that important, but delegates are not OO according to others. You find them in functional languages and multi-paradigm languages. "One example is C#, which includes imperative and object-oriented paradigms, together with a certain level of support for functional programming with features like delegates (allowing functions to be treated as first-order objects)" [View:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_paradigm:550:50]

Not wanting to hijack anything and going off-topic ;-) but 

"Probably you will be surprised how similar functional and OO code is, and that most ideas are things you already know."

http://sidburn.github.io/blog/2016/05/20/introduction-to-functional-programming

This thread is closed