Printing to a network printer without installing drivers?

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 29-Aug-2017 03:25

Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to print a pdf document in the background. The pdf document is generated by OpenEdge and I have the IP address of the printer. With that I can poll the printer to get some details about the printer but I can't seem to print to the printer. I'm using OS-COMMAND to send the pdf to the printer. 

Anybody done something like this before without installing printer drivers? Or is this not possible?
Would it be an option to install the printer drivers silently?

This article (http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P9721) doesn't work because Windows sharing of the printer is not possible (printer is a network printer but not supporting the protocol for Windows sharing):

Windows 10, OpenEdge 11.6

All Replies

Posted by jankeir on 29-Aug-2017 05:15

Have you tried lpr?That's how you'd do it on linux and it appears lpr is also available on windows: technet.microsoft.com/.../cc731926(v=ws.11).aspx

Posted by keithg on 29-Aug-2017 12:45

Great find!  We have been using a really old EXE from back in the mid-90s because we have yet to find anything suitable and simple for replacing this functionality.  LPR may just be the answer for us.

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 29-Aug-2017 16:39

Hello Jan,

yes, I did try lpr but that didn't seem to produce anything.

I'm currently using acrord32 /n /t file.pdf printername but that keeps the acrobat window open after execution. So not reallly background :-)

@Keith: what old exe are you using?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 30-Aug-2017 05:48

Hi David,

You may want to check acrobat reader and see if it has a COM/ActiveX interface.  If it does you may be able to automate the printing while keeping acrobat reader invisibible.

Brian

Posted by Ken Ward on 30-Aug-2017 09:02

If you're having issues with Acrobat Reader staying open, we been using a utility called AcroWrap. It will close down copies of Acrobat Reader have hang open in the background.

I've never found a COM/ActiveX solution from Adobe. There are third party libraries out there. We're using DynamicPDF to generate PDFs and they have another component for printing.

Posted by Steve Moore on 30-Aug-2017 11:39

Does this solution help?:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000046047

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 30-Aug-2017 16:59

Hello Steve,

thanks for that link. It seems to make use of the Win32 API behind the scenes?

I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Thx

This thread is closed