.NET Assembly issues

Posted by Ken Ward on 15-Aug-2017 09:43

We just did an rcode update for our local system and suddenly it can't find the assemblies. Please see the attached image to see how everything is set up.

Sorry about the awkward placement, but i was trying to get everything in one screen shot.

I've checked file permissions, and everything seems to be wide open.

This is preventing our system form being able to print anything.

P.S. I have another system with this same setup that is working properly, but i can't find any difference between the two.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 15-Aug-2017 09:46

Go to the properties of each .net dll and ensure that it is not blocked.

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 15-Aug-2017 09:46

Go to the properties of each .net dll and ensure that it is not blocked.

Posted by Laura Stern on 15-Aug-2017 09:56

What do you mean you did an "rcode update"?  Are you sure when you compiled the code that you were using the same assemblies.xml file and dlls?  Or could you now be referencing some different version of the assembly in the rcode?

Posted by Ken Ward on 15-Aug-2017 10:28

Yes! I see the "This file came from another computer..." message.

We don't want to have to go through this every time we update one of our customers.

Do you know of a way to distribute these files in a way that won't cause windows to do this?

Posted by Ken Ward on 15-Aug-2017 10:30

[mention:04fbfb2e92784123a464ff2aade602b1:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] Yes when we create our updates, we compile all our .p, .w and .cls files against the release database, then package them up. At this time we also package the dll files, but it seems like Windows is suspicious of the dlls.

Posted by Laura Stern on 15-Aug-2017 10:39

OK.  So Brian was correct.  It's all for your protection!   I don't know how to prevent that. Your best bet is to search on Google, I would think.

Interesting that it gave a NotFoundException (if I read that right), not something about can't open.  More subterfuge!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Aug-2017 13:26

The protection state of the assemblies is stored in "streams" - which is meta-data stored in the file-system.

The TechNet streams.exe allows you to remove this data for all files in a folder:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb897440.aspx

streams.exe -d -s *.*

See this stackoverflow discussion:

stackoverflow.com/.../unblocking-a-dll-on-a-company-machine-how

This thread is closed