ABL Scratchpad copy/paste

Posted by dbeavon on 11-Aug-2017 09:05

Anyone ever use the scratchpad in PDSOE?

If I paste something in there like a number or a small piece of code, the scrollbar jumps me to the very beginning of the entire editor.  I'm running PDSOE 11.7.1 for win 64.

Was wondering if anyone else tries using that window.  It seems to have some rough edges.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 11-Aug-2017 09:08

Had the same issue in 11.2.1.

Posted by dbeavon on 11-Aug-2017 09:50

Its not a big deal by any means, but its a bit discouraging to use some parts of PDSOE.

I would doubt Progress uses OpenEdge very often for the development of internal software, or things like this would be fixed.  Developers would probably maintain the tools they use every day, if they could.  It's a bit annoying to report a bug like this which Progress would already know about if they used their own stuff.

I know Progress also has a lot of Java guys, and nowdays a lot of C# guys too.  I wonder if Progress has an ERP or CRM based on OE?  If I had to bet, those are probably third-party Java apps.

Posted by cverbiest on 11-Aug-2017 10:16

I occasionally use it, I don't report issues about scratchpad because I feel there more pressing things to fix.

Posted by Anil Kumar on 11-Aug-2017 10:56

Hi David,

Thanks for pointing these problems. Also, thank you for trying out all aspects of OpenEdge/PDS OE components.

This is a known issue and will be addressed in future releases. As a reference please use this ID PSC00346401 for the tracking the progress of this issue.

More details: This issue happens only with any code snippet(s) that are larger than currently opened view size (ABL Scratchpad is Shows Views section). Although the cursor stays at the correct place when text is pasted from the clipboard to the scratchpad, the window moves to the top section in ABL Scratchpad (resulting in changing the focus to first line). However, when you start typing code, the window moves again and the cursor is on the bottom of the view. As a workaround (though it is not ideal) please increase the size of the scratchpad.

Technical details: Whenever we copy some ABL code in the scratchpad, respective view is refreshed such that we calculate and show appropriate color coding for the ABL code snippet that is available in ABL Scratchpad. As a side effect, we run into issues like losing exact focus and undo, redo functionality.

We have these items in our backlog and will be addressed in future release(s) of OpenEdge. As a side note please bring these items to your account representative and the issue(s) will be prioritized accordingly.

Hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 11-Aug-2017 13:58

Scratchpad in PDS is next to useless (sorry Anil) so I use the 'normal' progress editor as a workaround.

1. Press CTRL+SHIFT+L
  2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+L again to open settings for shortcuts
  3. In the search bar (with the text 'type filter text'), type 'procedure editor'
  4. Set focus to the fill-in for 'Binding'
  5. Press SHIFT+F3
  6. Press OK

Now when you want to test something in the normal editor, you press SHIFT+F3. You then get the editor with your source in it. If you press SHIFT+F3 again, you have a blank editor in front of you, connected to all databases in your project.

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 11-Aug-2017 13:59

The scratchpad in PDS is next to useless (sorry Anil) so I use the 'normal' progress editor as a workaround.

1. Press CTRL+SHIFT+L
  2. Press CTRL+SHIFT+L again to open settings for shortcuts
  3. In the search bar (with the text 'type filter text'), type 'procedure editor'
  4. Set focus to the fill-in for 'Binding'
  5. Press SHIFT+F3
  6. Press OK

Now when you want to test something in the normal editor, you press SHIFT+F3. You then get the editor with your source in it. If you press SHIFT+F3 again, you have a blank editor in front of you, connected to all databases in your project.

This thread is closed