I need to pass a COM-HANDLE (specifically to an Outlook User

Posted by pmarshall on 08-Aug-2017 07:40

Within C# this is easy, simply pass it as "Object", but from OE the COM-HANDLE doesn't map to object and I can't cast it to "System.Object" pass.

I have also tried changing the signature of the C# method to accept the UserProperty as the Interop type, but once again that fails.

Any suggestions as to how to do this ?

All Replies

Posted by Laura Stern on 08-Aug-2017 07:50

In C# it is easy because your reference to the COM object is already a C# object wrapper.  In the ABL the COM-HANDLE is a completely different animal.  It is not a wrapper and it's not an "object" in our OO sense.  

Was there something more to this post, i.e., something before this last post on Aug 8 at 8:40?  It seems to be out of context.  Where are you getting this COM-HANDLE from?   Shouldn't you be using the C# version of the COM object to begin with i.e., the C# wrapper?

Posted by pmarshall on 08-Aug-2017 08:18

We have code that generates User Properties on an Outlook MailItem in ABL, from existing code.

We also do the same thing in our C# VSTO addin.

However I need to mark the UserProperty as none printable, which I can do using reflection in a C# dll, and is working in the VSTO addin, and I want to share the same code (as I can't see a way to do the same thing in ABL via the com handle).

the C# code for the disabling print:

public void DisablePrint(object customProperty)

{

long printablePropertyFlag = 0x4; // PDO_PRINT_SAVEAS

string printablePropertyCode = "[DispID=107]";

Type customPropertyType = customProperty.GetType();

// Get current flags.

object rawFlags = customPropertyType.InvokeMember(printablePropertyCode, BindingFlags.GetProperty, null, customProperty, null);

long flags = long.Parse(rawFlags.ToString());

// Remove printable flag.

flags &= ~printablePropertyFlag;

object[] newParameters = new object[] { flags };

// Set current flags.

customPropertyType.InvokeMember(printablePropertyCode, BindingFlags.SetProperty, null, customProperty, newParameters);

}

If there's a way to replicate this purely in ABL i'll give it a go, but I can't 'GetType()' on a com-handle either.

I appreciate this is a real edge case.

Peter

Posted by pmarshall on 08-Aug-2017 08:34

In addition i've just tried it from a C# dll that creates a Word.Application object and returns that as a parameter.

Similar problem - you can assign the property to a COM-HANDLE which is the object, but it's an invalid handle.

So the problem occurs in the opposite direction as well (C# to ABL as well as ABL to C#).

Posted by Laura Stern on 08-Aug-2017 15:43

Why can't you just try to set the property (printablePropertyCode) using the COM-HANDLE.  I don't understand why the C# code is doing this through reflection.  

Posted by pmarshall on 09-Aug-2017 01:46

It's because it's not a public property - i.e. it has no property name only a dispid.

So I can update the property using reflection, but not via the properties visible on the COM-HANDLE, and unfortunately it's not an interface I have any control over.

This thread is closed