A standard REST API - ODATA?

Posted by carl.williams on 24-Jul-2017 02:45

I recently attended the Kendo UI Builder 2.0 webinar (many thanks for this). It was mentioned that there is limited read ODATA support. Is this supported in OpenEdge via a new version of the JSDO?

What are the plans for extending ODATA to CRUD, etc?

We are looking at building a standard REST API to expose our application and REST seems to be more a series of guidelines and good practice rather than a fixed standard, eg. filtering, paging, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

All Replies

Posted by oedev on 25-Jul-2017 06:39

Thanks for mentioning ODATA, I've not really looked into it previoiusly and it's worth a look as we are in the same position in respect of being ready to start building a REST API on top of our ERP solution.

I've been more focused at looking at RAML and Swagger as potential products to be used for documenting any API, so would be interested in knowing if Progress are going to be doing anyhting in this area?

Can see two possible directions of integration;

1 - Can a Openedge REST API (e.g. Webspeed web handler) be parsed and the maching Swagger or RAML generated ?

2 - Can we parse a Swagger or RAML definition and generate a Openedge handler stub, including matching prodataset definition etc. ?

I'd also be interested in knowing if you are going to be using Openedge REST or Openedge Webspeed handlers for implementing your API's? The latter Webspeed route seems to be much lighter config wise with no downsides ?

Posted by carl.williams on 25-Jul-2017 07:02

We are using WebHandlers so that we can use all the REST verbs such as Patch. Only downside is it will take us longer to generate generic coding as a Class than using procedural.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Jul-2017 07:06

Are you saying OO coding is taking you longer thran procedural coding? That’s hard to believe!

But if you think so, the Web Handler would only need to be the first bit of code called from the web. From there on you can continue to remain in the past and write procedures.