Installing Un*x 32bit OE 10.2A on 64bit centOS 7

Posted by MBeynon on 11-Jul-2017 07:29

Hi,

I'm required to build a new Unix dev box for a customer that runs their existing OE10.2A Progress version as well as later on adding OE11.2 64bit (this is the highest version their HP-UX platform can support).

Looking through the OE compatability matrix I sould be able to do this (Platform Supported but not optimized for 64Bit) and indeed I've installed the 32bit OE10.2A on the 64bit centOS VM.

The problem however, is when I've come to patch up to OE10.2A.02 (I have to do this as amonst other things, I can't install Fathom OE management). When I try to patch to 02 I get the error;

OPENEDGE INSTALL UTILITY LOG <VERSION 10.2A> (Tue Jul 11 10:39:51 2017)
mfLoadLibrary: Could not load /usr/local/apps/installs/versioninfo.dll

OPENEDGE INSTALL UTILITY LOG <VERSION 10.2A> (Tue Jul 11 10:39:51 2017)
Unable to load /usr/local/apps/installs/versioninfo.dll.

When the 02 installer runs I get asked for the full path to the OE install which in my case is the default (/usr/dlc/).

The path /usr/local/apps/installs/ is the path to my install folder which contains my extracted OE .tar files

Interestingly, when I abort the install, along with the error log in /usr/local/apps/installs I get a copy of versioninfo.dll !?

Looking through the Knowledgebase I found this;

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P14086

the resolution being;

Install compat-libstdc++ library to your Linux system.  For OpenEdge 10.0B on Redhat Enterprise 4 requires two compatibility patches that both need to be installed:

compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.7.2
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.3 

Note that this are 32 bits libraries but they are required because this is a Platform Supported but not optimized for 64Bit hardware.

These can download it from http://www.RPMFind.Net.

Alternatively, link to an earlier version prior to the install:
1.)  ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.3 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
2.)  run ldconfig so the dynamic linker picks up the new link.

I tried the first solution as centOS is built on Redhat I believe and my OE version is greater than 10.1

I've use yum to install compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.3 but I still can't install the 02 patch and the kb seems to suggest that I need compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.7.2 too.

However, this is an old package and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The second solution requires setting up a link to an earlier version of libstdc++.so, which also I don't have.

Is there a solution to this or will I be forced to have 2 dev VM's, one for 32bit OE10 and one later for OE11.2?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Posted by MBeynon on 11-Jul-2017 08:06

Solved: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000056050

Ensure that the machine has the corresponding  32 or 64 bit libstd.c++.so.6.  If the machine does not have libstd.c++.so.6 package installed, download and install libstdc++ 32 bit package for OpenEdge 32 bit and libstdc++ 64 bit package for OpenEdge 64 bit, from RPM repository. 

This can be done by executing (as root) the following commands:

yum install libstdc++    (for an OpenEdge 64 bit installation)

yum install libstdc++.i686    (for an OpenEdge 32 bit installation)

All Replies

Posted by MBeynon on 11-Jul-2017 08:06

Solved: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000056050

Ensure that the machine has the corresponding  32 or 64 bit libstd.c++.so.6.  If the machine does not have libstd.c++.so.6 package installed, download and install libstdc++ 32 bit package for OpenEdge 32 bit and libstdc++ 64 bit package for OpenEdge 64 bit, from RPM repository. 

This can be done by executing (as root) the following commands:

yum install libstdc++    (for an OpenEdge 64 bit installation)

yum install libstdc++.i686    (for an OpenEdge 32 bit installation)

This thread is closed