PASOE - Limiting Number of Agents

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jul-2017 14:01

I am trying to limit the number of agents that start to 1.

I thought by setting;

Initial Number of Agents = 1

Maximum Number of Agents = 1

Maximum Connections Per Agent = 1

Maximum ABL Sessions Per Agent = 1

would do the trick but it does not. Five agents are started.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jul-2017 14:12

Then verify your maxABLSessionsPerAgent setting in the openedge.properties [AppServer.SessMgr] section and numInitialSessions in the [AppServer.Agent] or the specific AppServer.Agent.<abl application> section.

I never use OpenEdge management to configure settings – but I’m sure it’s there too.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jul-2017 14:04

Are that five agents (processes) or five sessions (threads) you’re talking about?

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jul-2017 14:07

Sorry...5 threads.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Jul-2017 14:12

Then verify your maxABLSessionsPerAgent setting in the openedge.properties [AppServer.SessMgr] section and numInitialSessions in the [AppServer.Agent] or the specific AppServer.Agent.<abl application> section.

I never use OpenEdge management to configure settings – but I’m sure it’s there too.

Posted by Irfan on 07-Jul-2017 14:28

You would like to change both numInitialSessions and maxABLSessionsPerAgent for your case.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jul-2017 14:33

This is what I have but I still see the 5 threads.

[AppServer.SessMgr.OspreyMessenger]

agentLogEntryTypes=ASPlumbing,DB.Connects

agentLogFile=${catalina.base}/logs/OspreyMessenger.agent.log

agentLoggingLevel=5

agentStartupParam=-T "${catalina.base}/temp"  -pf c:/ORS/UnifyHost/AppServerStart.pf

maxABLSessionsPerAgent=1

maxAgents=1

maxConnectionsPerAgent=1

[AppServer.Agent.OspreyMessenger]

agentStartupProc=

keyAlias=admin

keyAliasPasswd=osprey

PROPATH=${CATALINA_BASE}/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/openedge,${CATALINA_BASE}/openedge,${DLC}/tty,${DLC}/tty/netlib/OpenEdge.Net.pl,c:/ORS/UnifyHost/Shared.pl,c:/ORS/UnifyHost/Server.pl

sessionShutdownProc=

sessionStartupProc=TestEmailer.p

sessionStartupProcParam=

uuid=UNIFYHOST11496Q:8841/OspreyMessenger

numInitialSessions=1

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jul-2017 15:07

Well, maybe something I was doing but after a reboot one thread is starting.

I guess the numInitialSessions must be set in openedge.properties as I could not find where to set using OEExplorer.

Thanks Mike and Irfan.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 09-Jul-2017 03:29

is there a reason why you want just one ?

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 09-Jul-2017 08:13

Yes. We use the appserver not just to serve our front end clients but also to run as an email server, push notification server, jms message server, etc. To start these processes we defined an appserver broker with the startup procedure of initmessenger.p. All this procedure did was connect to another appserver broker and run the processes asynchronously so the appserver appears to start. If you just run these processes (email server, PN server, JMS server) from the startup procedure the appserver would always say starting and never say started.

We only want one instance of the email server, PN server and jms message server which is why we only want one thread to start.

It also looks like how we did this with classic appserver does not work in PASOE. We have been unable to connect to another abl app within the same PASOE instance...work in progress.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Jul-2017 08:28

For running Progress procedures as these broker-kind processes I’d rather use a Jenkins CI server with PCT and ANT.

Makes it easy to monitor, control number of instances, get email on critical alerts …

The AppServer was developed to serve a frontend.

Posted by brianlafertewk on 18-Dec-2017 10:28

Is this value (numInitialSessions) going to be added to the Explorer UI at any point?  It seems odd that so many other options are available but this one is left out.  We tune it down for our development and testing environments, which have fewer resources than our production environments.

Posted by Irfan on 18-Dec-2017 12:50

This was missed in the previous release, should be available for future releases.

This thread is closed