ABLdoc for database tables

Posted by Johan Vergeer on 08-May-2017 04:20

Hi everyone, 

I'm wondering if it is possible to generate documentation of the databases using ABLdoc or a similar tool?

The information that we would like to retrieve:

• Table name
  • Field names
  • Primary keys
  • Foreign keys
  • Format
  • Label
  • Initial value
  • Order
  • Description
  • Help text
  • (Triggers)
  • (Validation)
  • (etc...)

Can someone tell me if this is possible. 

Best regards,

Johan Vergeer

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 09-May-2017 00:56

You can take a look at HtmlDict for this. It is on the OE Hive, but if I have time I'll see if I can port it to GitHub. It generates static html pages for your database schema. 

Personally, I use the DataDigger for database references, but depending on what you want to do with it, HtmlDict might be a better choice. Please forgive me the somewhat old fashioned look of the pages, but remember that it is already ten years old :)

Download the zip, extract it in its own folder, add that folder to the propath and run HtmlDict.w

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 08-May-2017 05:24

PCT has a schema documentation task

github.com/.../PCTSchemaDoc

Posted by atuldalvi123 on 08-May-2017 07:35

In the example they mentioned SchemaDoc.xsl.

Where can we get this file for formatting ?

<PCTSchemaDoc file="doc/db.xml">

<PCTConnection dbName="MyDB" dbDir="base"/>

</PCTSchemaDoc>

<xslt in="doc/db.xml" style='doc/SchemaDoc.xsl' out='doc/output.txt'>

<param name="outputdir" expression="doc/MyDB"/>

<param name="dbname" expression="MyDB" />

</xslt>

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 09-May-2017 00:56

You can take a look at HtmlDict for this. It is on the OE Hive, but if I have time I'll see if I can port it to GitHub. It generates static html pages for your database schema. 

Personally, I use the DataDigger for database references, but depending on what you want to do with it, HtmlDict might be a better choice. Please forgive me the somewhat old fashioned look of the pages, but remember that it is already ten years old :)

Download the zip, extract it in its own folder, add that folder to the propath and run HtmlDict.w

Posted by Johan Vergeer on 09-May-2017 01:41

Thanks for sharing this solution. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Don't worry about the look, I have seen much worse. ;)

Posted by Riverside Software on 09-May-2017 01:41

There's a link to schemaDoc.xsl in the first paragraph.

Posted by atuldalvi123 on 10-May-2017 01:16

Gr8!

Also where can we find the XSL file for ABLUnitTesting result.xml ?

Posted by Riverside Software on 10-May-2017 01:26

This is meant to be displayed directly in Jenkins, so no XSL here

Posted by atuldalvi123 on 10-May-2017 01:30

How can we see then the ABLUnitTesing results.xml without Jenkins in a  good HTML format ?

Posted by Mark Abbott on 10-May-2017 03:17

The format of the file that is produced is a standard format from JUnit tests - there *are* XSLT files out there to convert the XML into HTML formats, although they are a little hard to find.

I do have one in my possession, however, I found it several years ago and can't remember where I found it, so don't wish to post it in case of license infringement.

As I said, they do exist, you've just got to put some time into finding them.

Posted by SteveSaltDanwood on 10-May-2017 03:51

a quick Google returned:

stackoverflow.com/.../converting-xml-junit-report-to-html

perhaps this might help - it references github.com/.../junit2html too

Steve

Posted by marian.edu on 10-May-2017 06:11

Maybe not exactly what is commonly understood as documentation, still maybe some visuals would help as well...

Marian Edu
Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by Johan Vergeer on 10-May-2017 06:58

Thank you for your answer Marian,

I have looked in Progress Developer Studio for an ERD diagram, but haven't been able to find it.

How did you create this ERD?

Posted by marian.edu on 10-May-2017 07:22

The reason you couldn’t find one is because it doesn’t exist, very few seems to even want such a thing and given the fact PSC is a listed company they might not put in resources for something no one needs :(

The ERD component is one part of our work in progress (sic) on an integrated development environment, crowdfunding doesn’t seem to be appealing for Progress community either so we just go ahead slowly but steady… some more info on it here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/openedge-integrated-development-environment#/ 

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by Hendrik Duerr on 10-May-2017 07:24

IAP is offering PCase to design and document your ERD diagram. You can download a free Test Version here:

http://www.iap.de/pcase/

Best,
Hendrik

Am 10.05.2017 um 14:00 schrieb Johan Vergeer:
Update from Progress Community
Johan Vergeer

Thank you for your answer Marian,

I have looked in Progress Developer Studio for an ERD diagram, but haven't been able to find it.

How did you create this ERD?

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

-- 

Hendrik Duerr

IAP GmbH, Valentinskamp 30, D-20355 Hamburg
Tel.+49 40-30 68 03-34  
hendrik.duerr@iap.de - www.iap.de

Geschäftsführer: Klaus de Vries, Klaus Erichsen, Ulf Abel
Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 61291

Posted by jmls on 10-May-2017 07:31

well, Marian, I would suggest that you ditch development - as you seem to be able to raise money out of thin air ...$1600 from 0 backers ...  :)

Posted by Peter Judge on 10-May-2017 08:08

That is impressive.

I am capable of the polar opposite (making money disappear into thin air) but have never seen this before.

Posted by Johan Vergeer on 11-May-2017 00:41

Same here, Peter.

I guess we would all like to know Marian's secret.

Posted by marian.edu on 11-May-2017 00:56

By all means, hate to disappoint you guys but haven’t found the way to make money out of thin air yet :(

For curious minds there were three backers, the project was a set as fixed goal that didn’t happen and bakers are reimbursed… but yes, it was impressive as I really didn’t expect a single backer given the prior experience with open source in Progress world.

So, all in all, it was way more than I’ve expected and just want to publicly thank too everyone that showed some support one way or another.

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

This thread is closed