INPUT THROUGH issue on Windows 10 Winver 1703 OS Build 15063

Posted by Neil Mullins on 27-Apr-2017 08:49

Good afternoon.

Currently running this piece of code on a dev machine running Openedge 8.3B running on Windows 10 with the above details.

def var a as char format "x(70)".

input through "echo %cd%" no-echo.
import unformatted a.
input close.

message a. pause.

It is crashing at the import commend. This was working a few weeks a go. I have taken the creators update recently.

I thought it maybe a change in setting on my part, but I thought it unlikely, however this person seems to be having a similiar problem using openedge 10.3.

stackoverflow.com/.../openedge-10-2a-input-through-set-does-not-work-after-windows-update-1703-on-wi

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 27-Apr-2017 10:22

Please contact Technical Support with this, and provide the protrace so it can be reviewed and fixed if necessary. There have been a number of problems with Windows 10 Creator. You should check your OE version, as Progress V8 was never certified on Windows 10, but I am assuming that is  typo.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 27-Apr-2017 10:51

I have the same issue with 11.6.3 and 11.7 on the Creators Update.

Posted by Neil Mullins on 28-Apr-2017 03:26

Unfortunately 8.3 isn't a typo. I have only recently taken over this system and it is one of my jobs to do, is to move them to 11+.

Trust me going back to v8.3 has been a bit of a trauma.

To be fair what I have works, or it did until I took the creators update.  

Posted by Rob Debbage on 28-Apr-2017 05:37

Thank you for reporting the issue. It has been reproduced internally, logged, and documented for the Knowledge base:

000081070, "INPUT THROUGH fails after adding Windows 10 Creators Update"

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../INPUT-THROUGH-fails-after-adding-Windows-10-Creators-Update

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Apr-2017 08:08

> Trust me going back to v8.3 has been a bit of a trauma.

I suspect even this is an understatement  …. I’m trying to think to what that would be like … not enjoying it :)

Posted by DimitriG4 on 28-Apr-2017 12:44

v8.3 on W10 in 2017.  Can't get much more future proof than that. :)

Posted by Neil Mullins on 09-May-2017 04:23

Out of interest, beyond the INPUT THROUGH issue I am having, does anyone have a list of other commands which are proving problematic after the creators update?

Also if this issue effected later supported versions of Openedge, did it get picked up by Progress testing?

I will code around the problem for now, but a list of other effected commands would provide a guide to the scope of any changes I need to make.

Posted by Neil Mullins on 04-Aug-2017 10:22

Ok. So Microsoft have fixed this on the 25./07/2017 (Picked up from the Knowledge base). So it is now working again on my Surface Pro on Windows 10 Creators update.

However I am in the process of changing code, to avoid this potential problem.

I would be intrigued to know from Progress why Microsoft undid their previous change. Did it affect more companies than just Progress Software?

Posted by Garry Hall on 04-Aug-2017 13:52

The engineer who investigated this is on vacation at the moment, so you'll have to wait for an authoritative response.

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 15-Aug-2017 07:30

I'm back from vacation and here with the "authoritative response" Garry promised. Unfortunately, the response is "We don't know exactly what happened".

What we do know is that the Windows Subsystem for Linux was the cause of many of the problems OpenEdge applications had with the recent Windows 10 Creators Update. Part of the Linux subsystem is a huge update to the Windows command shell (also known as the Command Prompt). This update caused issues at many companies, not just at Progress, as judged by the large list of issues reported to Microsoft's command shell team on Github. I reported an issue with entering non-ASCII characters to the command shell team and the issue was fixed within a few weeks of reporting it. That was a different issue than the one discussed in this thread.

I don't know specifically how the issue underlying the INPUT THROUGH problem was addressed by Microsoft (that is, whether they fixed it or rolled back the changes which caused it). In any case, we have made changes in OpenEdge 11.7.1 to make the implementation of INPUT THROUGH, OUTPUT THROUGH, and INPUT-OUTPUT THROUGH more robust so hopefully we won't have further issues as the evolution of the command shell continues.

This thread is closed