Using Progress Dynamics in OpenEdge Developer Studio 11.6.3

Posted by Steven Peeters on 14-Apr-2017 02:08

Hi,

I'm trying to run Progress Dynamics in the OpenEdge Developer Studio for OE 11.6.3 32-bit on a Win10 system.
I'm running into some problems... Note that we work with a lot of static objects.

What's working:
- Getting the dynamics application login screen and logging in
- Opening an item from the repository using File - Open Object and then opening the file in OE Studio AppBuilder
- Modifying and saving an object in the OE Studio AppBuilder
- Opening a DynObjc in the container builder and running the container
- Opening (e.g.) a Dynamic Browse by right-clicking on the object in the Container Builder and choosing "Edit Master"

What's not working:
- Opening (e.g.) a Static Browse by right-clicking on the object in the Container Builder and choosing "Edit Master".
A new tabfolder opens in OE Studio stating "File not found: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\?."
- I'm able to create (e.g.) a new Static SDO or Browser with "File - New - ABL UI Design" and run through the initial Wizard. When I then try to save the file in OE Developer Studio, I get the error message (2780) - Input blocking statement is invalid while executing a user-defined function.
- I'm getting the same 2780 error message when I try use "File - Register in Repository".
- File - Save static object as dynamic / Save dynamic object as static also displays error 2780.

Has someone been able to get Dynamics in OE Developer Studio working? Do I need to do some extra configuration?
This problem can also be invoked on the "Progress Dynamics: Getting Started" tutorial environment.

Thanks,

Steven

Posted by Steven Peeters on 09-Aug-2017 03:17

This was not working because I did not add and activate a connection to the ICFDB in the "Database connections" properties for the project. I made the false assumption that simply setting the icfconfig.xml in the "Configuration file" field of the Project AppBuilder settings would take care of the connection to the ICFDB seeing it contains the connection data.

No error messages were given about the missing connection.

Still not OK (but I'll work around it): Right-click on a static object (eg browser), choosing "Edit master" doesn't open the file in the Progress Developer Studio. It just opens a blank page with a ? as the tabfolder name. Opening the same file from the Project Explorer works just fine.

All Replies

Posted by Keerthy Yeddula on 14-Apr-2017 07:03

Hi Steven,

There is a bug already exists for Save dynamic object file, Register in Repository and Save static object as dynamic / Save dynamic object options from 11.5 FCS.

Only the following case I'm unable to reproduce. Can you please provide the reproduce steps for the following case?

Opening (e.g.) a Static Browse by right-clicking on the object in the Container Builder and choosing "Edit Master".

A new tabfolder opens in OE Studio stating "File not found: C:\OpenEdge\WRK\?."

Thanks,

Keerthy.

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 17-Apr-2017 09:08

The bug is caused by the introduction of a .NET wait-for in PDS, which conflicts with some of the functions that are handling some of the saves from Dynamics' tooling. You can set an environment variable PDS_WAITFOR = "ABL" before PDS is started to make it use the standard Progress wait-for. This should allow you to save Dynamics objects without these errors. The problem using the ABL wait-for is that the Visual Designer (for .Net) and the Appbuilder Designer will stack their wait-for statements if opening both type of designs in the same project. If you then close them in a different order than they were opened problems will occur.  

Posted by Steven Peeters on 26-Apr-2017 01:19

Is the PDS_WAITFOR = "ABL" an actual Windows Environment User/System variable?

I can't seem to find any documentation for this online..

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 26-Apr-2017 02:25

Source code is always the best documentation ;-) See %DLC%\oeide\eclipse\plugins\com.openedge.pdt.project_11.6.3.00\runtime\_server.p

/* not documented - backdoor just in case someone complains...  
             NOTE: This should cannot be used if VD is used as AppBuilder and VD  
                   will have nested wait stacks if used in same project and 
                   get error on close/restart (if closed in incorrect order, which 
                  seems to always be the case ) 
           */ 

if os-getenv("PDS_WAITFOR") = "ABL":U  then
          do:
              fWait = false.
              setApplicationWait(fWait).
              wait-for "CLOSE":U of this-procedure.    
          end.
          else do:
              fWait = true.
              setApplicationWait(fWait).
              wait-for System.Windows.Forms.Application:run ().
          end.

Posted by Steven Peeters on 09-Aug-2017 03:17

This was not working because I did not add and activate a connection to the ICFDB in the "Database connections" properties for the project. I made the false assumption that simply setting the icfconfig.xml in the "Configuration file" field of the Project AppBuilder settings would take care of the connection to the ICFDB seeing it contains the connection data.

No error messages were given about the missing connection.

Still not OK (but I'll work around it): Right-click on a static object (eg browser), choosing "Edit master" doesn't open the file in the Progress Developer Studio. It just opens a blank page with a ? as the tabfolder name. Opening the same file from the Project Explorer works just fine.

This thread is closed