Error reading Socket when restarting my computer

Posted by Kai Siegele on 01-Feb-2017 04:53

Hallo,

I am using the 64-bit version of Open Edge and I want to execute a program on the default oepas1 application server and a good old application server. Both servers using the same database server specified as startup parameter.

After starting both application server executing the program works without problems. Only in the morning after I have started my computer processing the program fails. After stopping and restarting both server no error occurs any longer.

In both log-files I have found the following error message:

Error reading Socket, ret=10054, Error=2. (778)

I have in the knowledge base (knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P151066) that this error occurs when a 5th database was added. I am bound to say that I have no idea where I have connected another database at all and how to fix the error.

Has anyone an idea?

Kind regards

Kai Siegele

Posted by Torben on 08-Feb-2017 04:32

I've seen problems with never versions of windows, with fast start-up enabled.

In this case a shutdown don't shutdown, but hibernates part of the running system to to disk, that is loaded again on boot.

(Restart normally makes cold boot)

www.tenforums.com/.../4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 01-Feb-2017 05:04

Kai,

So ... overnight what does your computer do?  Does it sleep?  Do you shut it down or just let it go into hibernate mode (i.e. close lid on laptop)?

If you leave the appserver, PASOE and database running overnight but sleep or hibernate the computer then I suspect that when you bring the computer back to normal the next morning that TCP is assuming that the connections to the database are no longer valid).  You probably just need to trim all agents/sessions in the morning to clean up connections.  Restarting the appserver & PASOE will do that, its just the long form of trimming the agents/sessions.

That’s all I can think of right now, perhaps others will chime in with better answers.

Brian

Posted by Peter Judge on 01-Feb-2017 08:06

In my experience it’s the Admin Server that deals extremely poorly with network interruptions (like laptops going to sleep). That would impact the Classic AppServer. Easiest thing to do is to kill the relevant java process from Task Manager and restart it (via the services or via proenv and proadsv -start). Look for the java process with a command line that ends in AdminServerStarter.

Posted by Matt Baker on 01-Feb-2017 08:16

That is an ABL runtime message, not an adminserver message.  So restarting the adminserver isn't going to help with a message from _progress.

Posted by Kai Siegele on 07-Feb-2017 04:18

Thanks for your answers.

Perhaps my description was a little bit confusing: Each time I go home I shoot down my computer. Each time I start to work I restart my computer.

For searching for the mistake I have created some other application servers. Now after restarting my computer and starting the admin server two application servers are still running. Then I am starting two other application server manually. Then I am starting my test application: Accessing the application servers started by admin server fails with the error described. Accessing the application servers started by hand works without any problems.

So I guess something goes wrong when admin server starts the application server, but I have no idea what it could be, perhaps a wrong order. Has anyone else another idea?

Kind regards

Kai Siegele

Posted by Torben on 08-Feb-2017 04:32

I've seen problems with never versions of windows, with fast start-up enabled.

In this case a shutdown don't shutdown, but hibernates part of the running system to to disk, that is loaded again on boot.

(Restart normally makes cold boot)

www.tenforums.com/.../4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Posted by Kai Siegele on 09-Feb-2017 04:25

Hallo Torben,

thank you for your answer. I am using Windows 10 and I have disabled the fast startup.

Then I have rebooted my computer two times and have started my test application. Each time my test application has worked with all application servers regardless whether started by admin server or by hand.

Your post also answers my question about using autostart option: Admin server now starts only those applciation server where autostart option is set to true.

Kind regards

Kai Siegele

This thread is closed