Open Client vs REST

Posted by Five Duck on 15-Dec-2016 18:45

Sorry that I am new to Progress Community. Recently, my company is finding a way to develop some .NET web UI for better user experience. We are now using OE 10.2B and We find a product call "Open Client". I just have a doubt whether Open Client is suitable for us or we should keep concentration on REST (on OE11.6). Could anyone help to give me some PROS and CONS on Open Client? Thanks so much for your help.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 19-Dec-2016 06:24

Hi Five,

The .NET Open Client product allows you to access ABL code on the AppServer from a .NET application.  If you already have lots of .NET code running under IIS / ASP.NET and you need to utilize ABL code running on the AppServer then this can be a good way to accomplish that.

Can you provide more details as to where you currently are and what constraints (if any) you have?

Brian

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 19-Dec-2016 06:24

Hi Five,

The .NET Open Client product allows you to access ABL code on the AppServer from a .NET application.  If you already have lots of .NET code running under IIS / ASP.NET and you need to utilize ABL code running on the AppServer then this can be a good way to accomplish that.

Can you provide more details as to where you currently are and what constraints (if any) you have?

Brian

Posted by Five Duck on 05-Jan-2017 00:34

Hi Brian

Sorry for my late reply as I was extremely busy in the past few weeks. The answer you provided is good enough for us to focus on Open Client. Actually, we have rich of business logic which developed in OE10.2B with ABL. We would like to utilize those logic. Thanks so much for your help and sorry again for my late.

Regards

Five

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 05-Jan-2017 04:58

Hi Five,

You are welcome.  If you need more information in the future we are always here.  :)

Brian

This thread is closed