OpenEdge Run Configurations

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 10:41

Hi.

We test our application and its various versions from different testing shortcuts for each environment. Today, we were experimenting with creating a Progress OpenEdge Application Run Configuration. 

When we run our application it starts up, but then just immediately shuts down as if the wait-for is completely ignored. Are the Run Configurations only designed to support running an application with a GUI for .Net UI?

Posted by Matt Baker on 27-Oct-2016 10:46

You can run anything.

For .cls programs it just news the class.

For gui for .net forms it news the class and shows the form.

For .p and .w it just calls run. 

There’s a wrapper program that is called before your program, but it doesn’t do much.

Run it through the debugger and see what is happening.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 27-Oct-2016 10:46

You can run anything.

For .cls programs it just news the class.

For gui for .net forms it news the class and shows the form.

For .p and .w it just calls run. 

There’s a wrapper program that is called before your program, but it doesn’t do much.

Run it through the debugger and see what is happening.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 11:01

"You can run anything."

I beg to differ.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 12:56

The debugger doesn't even stop. The splash screen pops-up, then disappears, then the application being run just closes.

Posted by Matt Baker on 27-Oct-2016 13:20

Is it just this one program?  Can you run something simple with just a message statement?

Posted by Peter Judge on 27-Oct-2016 13:22

You may know this, so forgive the repetition but the debugger in PDSOE *requires* a breakpoint in order to stop (unlike the standalone/classic debugger which stops first and waits for you).

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 13:27

"Is it just this one program?"

It's my application. I am specifying our start-up program which launches other things and then does a WAIT-FOR. It just seems to never stop and wait.

"Can you run something simple with just a message statement?"

Yes.

"You may know this, so forgive the repetition but the debugger in PDSOE *requires* a breakpoint in order to stop (unlike the standalone/classic debugger which stops first and waits for you)."

Correct. BUT.. the break-point doesn't stop it. So, I put in the traditional DEBUGGER:INITIATE and DEBUGGER:SET-BREAK. It flashes and then disappears.

Do the Run Configurations require everything to be in your project?

Posted by Peter Judge on 27-Oct-2016 13:30

No, to the last q.

Turn on 4GLTrace logging with a high level and see what actually (if anything gets run).

Posted by Adriano Correa on 28-Oct-2016 05:21

Turn on clientlog. This link my help.

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P9893

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 28-Oct-2016 09:42

Ok, we've gotten to the bottom of it.

It has to do with:

"There’s a wrapper program that is called before your program, but it doesn’t do much."

Thx.

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-Oct-2016 09:50

That has a wait-for in it.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 28-Oct-2016 09:54

"That has a wait-for in it."

Ok. Unrelated. :)

It had to do with our call-stack inspection to see if our app was already running. The fact that our startup was being run by another procedure seemed to confuse our function.

So, the Run Configurations does seem to work as expected. I stand corrected.

This thread is closed