Using 11.6 Profiler

Posted by Paul Mowat on 27-Oct-2016 05:27

Hi,

How do I go about using the 11.6 profiler viewer with a profile output generated from my application using -profile.

I can't see how to load the profile information into it.

Thanks

Paul

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 27-Oct-2016 05:42

Hi,

Copy the ‘.prof’ (officially supported from PDS OE) or ‘.out’ files to PDS OE project. From the project explorer, right click on those files and select ‘Open With’-> ‘Other’ . From the ‘Editor Selection’ dialog, search for ‘Profiler Viewer’ and select it. Your profiled data will be shown in a nice format inside the PDS OE profiler viewer.

Thanks,

Rama

All Replies

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 27-Oct-2016 05:42

Hi,

Copy the ‘.prof’ (officially supported from PDS OE) or ‘.out’ files to PDS OE project. From the project explorer, right click on those files and select ‘Open With’-> ‘Other’ . From the ‘Editor Selection’ dialog, search for ‘Profiler Viewer’ and select it. Your profiled data will be shown in a nice format inside the PDS OE profiler viewer.

Thanks,

Rama

Posted by Paul Mowat on 27-Oct-2016 05:57

Brilliant thanks for that.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 07:37

Is there any documentation for the -profile option? I cannot seem to locate it in the help.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 27-Oct-2016 08:14

This looks like a starting point:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000039400

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 08:28

Yes, it's a start.

Posted by Paul Mowat on 27-Oct-2016 08:29

You can use the -profile startup parameter if you want to profile the entire client session as it runs.

Create a data file used by the profiler called “profiler.ctl”.

Within that you can set the options needed.

-DESCRIPTION “Profiler”

-LISTINGS C:\temp\profiler\

-FILENAME C:\temp\profiler\prof.out

prowin32.exe –p profiletest.p –profile profiler.ctl

I found that on a KB article somewhere ages ago. Always struggled to find decent documentation on the profiler.

Posted by Peter Judge on 27-Oct-2016 08:46

> Always struggled to find decent documentation on the profiler.

That’s because it was (and still is to an extent) an unsupported feature. You can probably make the case now that since there’s support for viewing profile stuff in PDSOE that it should be formally documented.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Oct-2016 09:19

"You can probably make the case now that since there’s support for viewing profile stuff in PDSOE that it should be formally documented."

Well, I thought that was the case now. I guess that explains why I couldn't find it. :)

Posted by Paul Mowat on 27-Oct-2016 09:23
Posted by DenDuze on 30-Aug-2018 01:13

Hi,

I tried to open an out-file - generated by my application with the -profiler-handle - in the 'Profile Viewer' in PDS 11.7 but I just get an empty profiler view with no data in it?

What can be the reason for that?

is there some logging when opening a out-file (or prof-file) that I can look at?

Regards

Didier

Posted by doa on 30-Aug-2018 02:00

@DanDuze 11.7.2 and 11.7.3 fixed a few bugs in the viewer that could cause this problem

Posted by DenDuze on 30-Aug-2018 02:17

We are on PDS 4.5.2 and OE 11.7.1 so that can be the reason.

Thanks for that info

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 30-Aug-2018 03:52

Hi Didier,

The reason for an empty profiler view might be because of the incomplete data in the .out file. Can you please share the .out file with us? so that we can give a try.

Thanks,

Ramadevi

Posted by DenDuze on 30-Aug-2018 04:24

Hi Ramadevi,

If you want to I can share it but I guess the file is complete because I can open it with the older profiler (profile.w), I only need to change the date in that case (switch DD and MM).
Also tried that is PDS but didn't solve my problem
[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/ProfileSession_5F00_21664.out:320:240]

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 31-Aug-2018 02:29

Hi Didier,

This is a bug. The out file is missing some data w.r.t PDS OE. One of the module present in the Line summary view is not present under modules section. Because of this it is not opened in PDS OE by throwing the following exception.

com.progress.openedge.pdt.profiler.SnapshotReadException: Module id 3037 not found in line summary section (section 2).

Thanks,

Ramadevi

This thread is closed