Need help recoding simple CHUI code to simple GUI

Posted by DJ Huffman on 23-Oct-2016 20:59

I've recently joined a project that is going from chui to gui.  I have 20+ years working with chui and only a smattering of gui, and what gui I have been exposed to was existing code that I modified.  What I need is a simple example of a gui program that has two input fields and runs those codes against a table.  I realize that this probably sounds petty to the gui experts but it would be really helpful to me.  If there are manuals available that I could purchase or download that would give me a starting point.  Firm I'm working with only has some custom code with great majority from a vendor that firm has no ability to get basic code from

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 24-Oct-2016 04:32

DJ,

Are you going to be using the AppBuilder and straight ABL code or DevStudio (Eclipse) and GUI for .NET?   What the code you get back looks like will depend on the answer.

Brian

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 24-Oct-2016 06:40

DJ,

Here is a simple .w file created with the AppBuilder that accepts an integer value (Customer Number) and displays several fields from the sports2000 Customer table.  It doesn't do any updating but could easily be modified to do that.  Take a look at it.

Since you are coming from the CHUI world, one thing to be sure you do is to use the AppBuilder to create your GUI stuff (assuming you are not using GUI for .NET).  It really makes things easier.

Brian

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/ForDJ.w:320:240]

Posted by Adriano Correa on 26-Oct-2016 14:57

DJ, If you want to use your current techniques with GUI development, it is possible. Just create a window and everything else is pretty much the same.

It is not beautifull, but it is possible. Really suggest to use at least the Appbuilder to build some structured code.

This thread is closed