Help with java debuggers

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 18-Oct-2016 18:17

I am trying to debug a CHUI client on Linux in a way that I can see the source listings in the debugger.  I connected the Windows standalone Java debugger to my client process; I can debug but I don't see the source; I just have the call stack and current line number.  I'm not sure what format the debugger is expecting for debug-list file names.  Is it "dbg_<procedure_file>_<somenumber>" like the auto-generated files?  The docs aren't specific about that.

I have also tried proDebugger on Linux but I didn't get past exporting DISPLAY and running the command.  This was the result:

OpenEdge Release 11.6.2 as of Fri May 20 18:20:40 EDT 2016
No protocol specified
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '10.255.20.214:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:65)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:110)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:74)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:190)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:102)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:81)
        at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:119)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:190)
        at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:868)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:860)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName(UIManager.java:608)
        at com.progress.debugger.Prodebug.main(Prodebug.java:50)

On the Windows side I see this in my Xming log:

AUDIT: Tue Oct 18 12:41:25 2016: 4604 C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming\Xming.exe: client 4 rejected from IP 10.255.10.26

I can't find much in the way of docs or KB for proDebugger; I guess I should just stick to the Windows debugger and try to figure out where to put debug listings in Linux and what to call them.  I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 19-Oct-2016 02:59

The easiest way I have found so far is to connect to the Linux box with VNC, start a text terminal, start progress session with -debugalert. The debugger can then be launched from any alert box after clicking on 'help'.

The attachable debugger also works fine (from a VNC session) when the appserver / webspeed agent is running sources. When connecting from a remote client it gets too complicated.

All Replies

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 19-Oct-2016 02:59

The easiest way I have found so far is to connect to the Linux box with VNC, start a text terminal, start progress session with -debugalert. The debugger can then be launched from any alert box after clicking on 'help'.

The attachable debugger also works fine (from a VNC session) when the appserver / webspeed agent is running sources. When connecting from a remote client it gets too complicated.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 19-Oct-2016 13:00

Thanks Stefan.  I'll give it a go with the attachable debugger via VNC.

This thread is closed