Progress Developer Studio 11.6 (32-bit) crash often [SOLVED]

Posted by Robert Timothy on 26-Sep-2016 22:17

Progress Developer Studio 11.6 (32-bit) crash often in some circumstances,

For example :

1. Switching to other Tab while AVM still loading.

2. Insert .NET Events from OpenEdge Visual Designer.

3. Unknown crash (random)

After its crash, PDSOE won't open / start normally. I usually delete specific file with .bat in order to make it start normally.

cd C:\[WORKSPACE NAME]\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\
DEL *.snap*

Just wondering whether anyone had the same problem with PDSOE 11.6, any solution will be helpful.

Thank you,

Robert Timothy

All Replies

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 26-Sep-2016 23:42

Hi Robert,

In 11.6 PDS OE increased memory settings for 32 and 64 bit versions. Some customers running 32 bit version of PDS OE seems to have problems with this setting. Please decrease -Xmx value in eclipse.ini file and restart PDS OE. Default is 1024m, set this value to 768m or 512m. You can find eclipse.ini file under ${DLC}\oeide\eclipse folder. I think in you case it will be available under C:\OpenEdge116\oeide\eclipse (observed from below screenshot).

After changing these values, restart PDS OE with clean option.

Hope this helps,
Sanjeev.

Posted by Robert Timothy on 27-Sep-2016 02:21

Hi Sanjeev,

After several tries, PDS OE still crash with -Xmx512m when switching tabs while AVM Loading. But value 768m so far so good, hope this setting can prevent PDS from crashes.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Posted by Robert Timothy on 27-Sep-2016 06:23

[UPDATE]

PDS crash still happening when using the new eclipse.ini

Any other solution will be helpful.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 27-Sep-2016 06:26

Robert,

For these kinds of issues you really need to open a case with Tech Support.  When you do this please send us the file named “.log” which is located in the <Workspace-Dir>\.metadata subdirectory.

Brian

Posted by adisney on 27-Sep-2016 10:38

If you find a solution, please post it!  We are constantly struggling with the same issues/crashes.

Thank you,

Anne Disney

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 27-Sep-2016 13:48

Anne,

I will say that same to you that I said to Robert.  You really need to open a support case for this because the causes can differ.

Brian

Posted by Robert Timothy on 19-Oct-2016 23:15

[Update]

stackoverflow.com/.../40145365

Thanks Mike for the solution.

Robert

This thread is closed