Dynamic Temp-Table VS Dynamic ProDatSets

Posted by Malick Muhammad Arsalan Noor on 21-Sep-2016 08:27

Hi,

Please can any body tell me what is the difference between Dynamic Temp-Table and Dynamic ProDatSets

Thanks
Malick

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Sep-2016 08:30

ProDataSet (dynamic or static) is basically a “basket” that holds <n> number of temp-tables.

Temp-Table (dynamic or static) is just a single table of data in the standard relational model (rows / columns)

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Sep-2016 09:02

Malick,

That depends on your needs.

If you need to work with or pass around from one place (client to appserver or appserver to client or procedure to procedure) multiple temp-tables as a single object then datasets are the way to go.

If you need to do the same with just a single temp-table then give consideration to just using a temp-table.

As for them being dynamic vs static, that also depends on your needs.  Static are simpler to use but dynamic are more, well, dynamic in that you can construct the temp-table/dataset  on the fly with schema you need and pass it around.  For me, the downside to dynamic is that more coding is required and both sides of the equation need to be able to understand what they are receiving and be able to deal with it .. imagine passing a dynamic dataset across the wire to an appserver.  The program you are running on the appserver and passing this dataset to needs to be able to understand what it is receiving and handle it.

Perhaps it would be better if you told us what the actual problem is you are trying to resolve.

Brian

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Sep-2016 08:30

ProDataSet (dynamic or static) is basically a “basket” that holds <n> number of temp-tables.

Temp-Table (dynamic or static) is just a single table of data in the standard relational model (rows / columns)

Posted by Malick Muhammad Arsalan Noor on 21-Sep-2016 08:54

Thanks

Brian K. Maher

One more question can you give me one sample scenario of Dynamic Temp-Table and Dynamic ProDataSet that when to use Dynamic Temp-Table and when to use Dynamic ProDataSets

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Sep-2016 09:02

Malick,

That depends on your needs.

If you need to work with or pass around from one place (client to appserver or appserver to client or procedure to procedure) multiple temp-tables as a single object then datasets are the way to go.

If you need to do the same with just a single temp-table then give consideration to just using a temp-table.

As for them being dynamic vs static, that also depends on your needs.  Static are simpler to use but dynamic are more, well, dynamic in that you can construct the temp-table/dataset  on the fly with schema you need and pass it around.  For me, the downside to dynamic is that more coding is required and both sides of the equation need to be able to understand what they are receiving and be able to deal with it .. imagine passing a dynamic dataset across the wire to an appserver.  The program you are running on the appserver and passing this dataset to needs to be able to understand what it is receiving and handle it.

Perhaps it would be better if you told us what the actual problem is you are trying to resolve.

Brian

Posted by Malick Muhammad Arsalan Noor on 21-Sep-2016 09:11

Brian,

Actually I am a newbie in Progress Openedge Development and learning these concepts from wbt.progress.com, during learning I came up to little difficulties to understand these concept. So I just raise question here for further elaboration

By the way Thanks a lot for your feedback I get more understanding about these concepts  

Thanks

Malick

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 21-Sep-2016 09:18

No problem.  Welcome to OpenEdge and feel free to ask about whatever isn’t clear to you.  Someone will reply.

This thread is closed