Adding description for custom class/method in class browser

Posted by asp_progi on 28-Jul-2016 07:18

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to complete the description of my classes or methods in the class browser. 

I found that it's possible by having an .Xml with the dll. But in my openedge project I can't figure it out. 

I've created an .pl with my .r and a custom .xml (similar to what's availalble in the class browser).

Moreover is there a way to have the same results without using procedure librairies.

Thanks ! 

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Aug-2016 02:22

AFIAK Progress never formally published the structure. So it's undocumented. So the best guess would be to look at the results of the PCT job or com\openedge\pdt\text\objectbrowser\OpenEdge.xml within the %DLC%\oeide\plugins\com.openedge.pdt.text_11.6.2.00\progresside.jar archive.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 28-Jul-2016 07:32

Try naming the xml file like the physical folder that contains the project. There is a PCT task that can create the xml file.

Gesendet von meinem Windows 10 Phone

Von: asp_progi
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2016 14:19
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Adding description for custom class/method in class browser

Update from Progress Community
asp_progi

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to complete the description of my classes or methods in the class browser. 

I found that it's possible by having an .Xml with the dll. But in my openedge project I can't figure it out. 

I've created an .pl with my .r and a custom .xml (similar to what's availalble in the class browser).

Moreover is there a way to have the same results without using procedure librairies.

Thanks ! 

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by asp_progi on 28-Jul-2016 09:00

I tried as you said, didn't work.

I think the issue is in my xml file.

I have a project called GT50. In that project I've created a class "test1"

In the project folder I have my test1.cls and my GT50.xml

So I used you're exmple from pct to create the xml but I guess I'm not doing it right:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<unit packageName="" className="test1" isAbstract="true" isFinal="false" isInterface="false">

<classComment>/*************************************************************/</classComment>

<classComment>/* Copyright (c) 2011,2012 by Progress Software Corporation. */</classComment>

<classComment>/*                                                           */</classComment>

<classComment>/* All rights reserved.  No part of this program or document */</classComment>

<classComment>/* may be  reproduced in  any form  or by  any means without */</classComment>

<classComment>/* permission in writing from Progress Software Corporation. */</classComment>

<classComment>/*************************************************************/</classComment>

<classComment>/** ------------------------------------------------------------------------&#xD;

Purpose     : Default implementation of IDataAdminContext    &#xD;

Syntax      : &#xD;

Description : &#xD;

Author(s)   : hdaniels&#xD;

Created     : Sat Aug 07 16:54:55 EDT 2010&#xD;

Notes       : implements IDataAdminModel &#xD;

----------------------------------------------------------------------*/</classComment>

<classComment>/** default implementation IDataAdminContextData implements IDataAdminModel */</classComment>  

</unit>

Thanks for your answer.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 28-Jul-2016 15:29

That XML document that you're showing here looks like a result of the PCT ClassDocumentation target. That's the Input for the XMLDocumentation task: github.com/.../XmlDocumentation

The output of the XMLDocumentation is a single XML file that provides the comments for the class browser.

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 29-Jul-2016 06:55

The link that the github entry refers to does not work :(

www.pugchallenge.eu/.../emea_pug_challenge_2013_smartdox.pdf

Posted by Mike Fechner on 30-Jul-2016 13:18

I have logged a documentation issue. The missing PDF is attached to the ticket:

github.com/.../167

Posted by asp_progi on 01-Aug-2016 02:13

At first, my question was more about the structure of that xml document. For some reason I can't/won't use PCT, just needed how to link the xml document with all my classes documentation (and how it should looks like) with my custom classes of my project.

Thanks for your time!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 01-Aug-2016 02:22

AFIAK Progress never formally published the structure. So it's undocumented. So the best guess would be to look at the results of the PCT job or com\openedge\pdt\text\objectbrowser\OpenEdge.xml within the %DLC%\oeide\plugins\com.openedge.pdt.text_11.6.2.00\progresside.jar archive.

Posted by Riverside Software on 01-Aug-2016 11:54

[quote user="asp_progi"]

For some reason I can't/won't use PCT

[/quote]

What a weird reason !

Posted by asp_progi on 02-Aug-2016 05:20

We finally decided that PCT is the best way for generates our doc.

I just hope that I won't have too much trouble seting up PCT...

Thanks again for help.

This thread is closed