Progress DB 4GL to ODBC/OLEDB data extract ?

Posted by Simbu P on 29-Jun-2016 00:44

Dear Experts,

I am new to progress DB 4GL. I am trying to extract data from progress with ODBC

Could you please help me to find if there is a way to extract data using ODBC/OLEDB from 4GL database.

Note : I am able to export successfully from SQL database

Thanks

Simbu

All Replies

Posted by PeterWokke on 29-Jun-2016 03:27

Hi Simbu,

First you have to setup the database within OpenEdge Management.

The admin server has to run (services).

Fahtom can than be started on its default port 9090.

Within the configuration you have to allow sql to a port number.

Depending the 32bit or 64bit of your Progress install you can than configure an ODBC connection to the assigned port.

Peter

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 29-Jun-2016 03:29

Do you have an OpenEdge driver?

Did you get credentials, database name and TCP port from the OpenEdge DBA?

It would be helpful to get some more information.

If you have all, you can create a normal ODBC source.

Posted by PeterWokke on 29-Jun-2016 03:46

The required drivers are installed when you install OpenEdge 4GL and or OpenEdge Client Network.

I assume you have done one of them or both.

For users in a network environment the drivers will be installed as well during a netsetup install procedure on the clients.

Peter

Posted by Simbu P on 29-Jun-2016 05:20

Great. Thanks a lot for your help. I am able to retrieve data using ODBC but using SQL Queries.

Is the progress DB created/developed with Just 4GL option (No SQL) will also be accepting SQL queries to extract data from it?

I just wonder if we have an option to use 4GL queries to retrieve data from databases using any of the connectors like ODBC/OLEDB.

Could you please guide me the options if we have.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 29-Jun-2016 05:52

Simbu,

The database can handle both 4GL clients and SQL clients. 

It is recommended that a separate broker be started for handling SQL clients but that is a DB admin issue and not particularly relevant to your question.

ODBC/OLEDB connections to the database cannot use 4GL queries.  When using ODBC you must use SQL.  That’s it.

Brian

Posted by marian.edu on 29-Jun-2016 06:16

It doesn’t necessarily have to be SQL, for JDBC we have a driver that can not only digest 4GL but even allow one to run 4GL business logic. Still, that connects through an application server not directly to the database - either Progress (classic or ‘pacific’) or akera.io.

For ODBC it’s not that easy as it has to be done in C++ and at least for Progress AppSrv open client is only available for .Net (beside Java of course). Same for OLEDB which is still COM/native, maybe a managed ADO.NET provider could be an option that makes more sense.

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
+40 740 036 212

Posted by Simbu P on 29-Jun-2016 20:52

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Much appreciated. I will try the options and will share the results with you.

Simbu

This thread is closed