Is QTP supports GUI application developed in appbuilder?

Posted by shilpi.agarwal3373 on 27-Jun-2016 04:23

Hi,

A GUI application is developed in Appbuilder 11.4. Is QTP supports for automate the testing for applications developed in AppBuilder? or Do I need to develop gui application in some other way?

Please suggest.

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 27-Jun-2016 05:10

I don’t know about QTP specifically, however, in general automated testing tools should work except for the browse widget.  The browse does not expose itself in a way that allows testing tools to automate it.

Posted by Ramadevi Dhavala on 27-Jun-2016 05:36

Hi Shilpi,

In the past we have tried automating few applications developed in AppBuilder using QTP and we are not very successful.

Instead you can develop a gui application using OpenEdge GUI for .NET as all the objects can be easily recognized with QTP.

Similar kind of issue is addresses in the following post:

community.progress.com/.../6857

Thanks& Regards,

Rama

Posted by shilpi.agarwal3373 on 27-Jun-2016 05:44

I have created a gui application from PDS and select project type as GUI for .Net. In application, we are using Browse widget . so Please suggest QTP supports to test the browse widget from the application developed in GUI for .Net ?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 27-Jun-2016 05:48

the browse widget is an ABL widget and has nothing to do with GUI for .NET.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 27-Jun-2016 05:48

Please clarify. Even in a GUI for .NET Project you can create classic ABL GUI.

Are you creating a .cls file from the Visual Designer or a .w from from the AppBuilder?

Just getting confused from the term “browse”. As that’s a classic ABL GUI widget. A grid would be the equivalent in GUI for .NET.

Posted by shilpi.agarwal3373 on 27-Jun-2016 06:06

I have created application in both ways from AppBuilder as well as  with GUI for .Net.

When I create .w from Appbuilder a Browse widget appeas in appbuilder pallete.

When I create .cls from GUI for .Net, an equivalent Grid control is available instead of browse widget.

I am using QTP to test the application(whteher created from AppBuilder or from GUI for .Net).

My Question is Which application is supported by QTP?

As in above post, QTP does not recognise the browse widget in an apllication developed in appbuilder so Is it necessary to make application GUI for .Net for QTP to be able to work?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 27-Jun-2016 06:12

Shilpi,

As I stated earlier, the ABL browse widget does not expose itself in the manner that any testing tool needs so you will NOT be able to implement automated testing against it.

Brian

Posted by shilpi.agarwal3373 on 27-Jun-2016 06:32

Ok Brian. Thanks for ur guidance.

I still have one question- For QTP to be able to work, Do we need to make gui application as GUI for .NET?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 27-Jun-2016 06:38

Shilpa,

As I stated at first, UI automated test applications should work just fine with ABL only based applications EXCEPT for the browse widget.

Have you tried to use QTP with a simple .w file created in the AppBuilder?

Brian

This thread is closed