JSON output that describes an OpenEdge REST Service

Posted by slegian-bva on 16-May-2016 23:48

Hi guys,

Looking for an automated way to document the rest services. The KB says that I should be able to get a JSON output which describes the rest services by accessing the <service>/rest URL

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000054544?q=Does+Progress+provide+any+tools+to+document+OpenEdge+REST+Services+%3F&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

I am trying this in 11.5 and 11.6 and all I get is a nice HTML page with a link to a WADL file. Unfortunately the WADL is very thin, no schema, no responses...

What am I missing, how can I get that JSON schema in 11.5 or later?

Alternatively does anybody know of a way to auto document the REST services? I mean all the info is in Studio, right?

I found some old (2013) post about swagger, any progress since then?

Thanks,

Simi

All Replies

Posted by asaynes on 17-May-2016 08:00
Posted by slegian-bva on 18-May-2016 05:23

Thanks Alberto, that helps.

Didn't know I had to use a special "Debug" user. Funny that...

Turns out I run into a different issue now. My rest project was originally built in 11.3 while this debug thing was added later so I have to change some of the WEB-INF files to get this JSON/debug feature working.

And for some strange reason I now run into the missing restoe file issue. The only KB entry I could find on that does not help (knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000047763. My paths are all fine, triple checked that.

Any new REST service added to my project works fine, as in I get the restoe file and the /rest URL gives me the JSON catalogue, it's just that my existing project, the one I was trying to document in the first place seems to play up :(

I did a file diff between the "broken" and the "working" services trying to figure out what's different and for the life of me I cannot see anything off. I'm afraid my only option at the moment is to rebuild the service... Dodgy

Thanks,

Simi

This thread is closed