"r-code trick" - is this already in place for &quo

Posted by dbeavon on 19-Apr-2016 19:23

At the moment I have a pretty slow program directory for ABL.  There is quite a bit of pain when ABL "checks files with stat" when running external programs in a tight loop.  This can become a problem as the loops build up to 10's of thousands of iterations.

We run most of our ABL via "state-reset" appserver.  I'm thinking of using the "-q" (quick) option, even in development. But I was hesitant because of a concern that it might not allow changes to be picked up.

If I use "-q", are my "state-reset" appservers supposed to auto-flush the r-code from memory when a connection is closed?

Or should I use the cool "r-code trick" in my connection procedures instead: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P130577

Thanks, David

All Replies

Posted by dbeavon on 19-Apr-2016 19:32

I think I've done enough testing to convince myself that "-q" is always safe on development "state-reset" appservers.  Despite the use of that parameter, ABL will still flush out the r-code from memory when client connections are closed.  No need for the manual "r-code trick".

Now other types of appservers (eg. state-free) are probably a "whole nother story".

This thread is closed