Publish Application

Posted by Arjon Policar on 10-Apr-2016 08:28

Dear Everyone,

Greetings! I'm new in OpenEdge programming language. In OpenEdge 11.6 can create an .exe file for my project? Like in Visual Basic ? Thank you, I hope you will help me.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 10-Apr-2016 08:48

OpenEdge doesn't compile applications to .exe files. Applications can be compiled to a binary format called r-code. R-code is run with the OpenEdge AVM (ABL Virtual Machine). The OpenEdge AVM (prowin32.exe in 32-bit installations or prowin.exe in 64-bit applications) is the runtime engine which you use to run OpenEdge applications.

Posted by Arjon Policar on 10-Apr-2016 11:33

Can you help how to do it? Please?

Posted by scott_auge on 10-Apr-2016 13:33

Write a small program, perhaps:

display "Hello world!".

Save it as a file in the PROPATH directory(s).

Then enter

compile yourfilename.p

There should be a yourfilename.r created next to your .p code.

To distribute to a customer, they will need to have Progress installed on their machine (it's a bit like Java, er, Java is a bit like Progress since Progress definitely predated Java!)

Copy the .r to that machine.

Then run $DLC/bin/pro -p yourfilename.r where $DLC is where ever Progress is installed.

This is very basic but hopefully you get it - the particulars are in what operating system is being used to run the program and such.

Posted by Marco Mendoza on 11-Apr-2016 08:18

If you are new I suggest you before start questions after questions which answers probably will not make sense to you, read the documentation www.progress.com/.../documentation

This thread is closed