Issue with the euro symbol (€)

Posted by atuldalvi123 on 07-Apr-2016 08:27

My .p program is exporting a person details in a text file such as name  =  FARNCOIS.

Sometimes it exports this name correctly but some times it inserts euro symbol (€) in between like FARN€COIS

Dont know the exact cause. Pls suggest.

All Replies

Posted by Marco Mendoza on 07-Apr-2016 08:34

Are you using EXPORT?

Maybe accent characters?

Posted by atuldalvi123 on 07-Apr-2016 08:46

yes export.

that euro sign is coming automatically, i am not exporting.

Posted by Garry Hall on 07-Apr-2016 09:37

This is probably a misconfiguration or misunderstanding of codepages. There are many things at play here: the codepage of the database (if extracting from a db), the -cpinternal of the client session, the -cpstream of the client session, and any CONVERT TARGET on your OUTPUT statement . There is also the charset handling of the editor you are using to view the output.

One suggestion: run your client with -cpinternal = -cpstream = db codepage, so there is no conversion done, and EXPORT the same string. The bytes you see in the output will be the bytes that are stored in the db. Look at it with a hex editor, or od, to see what the bytes are. If they do not reflect the chars you expect to see, this data might be corrupted in the database.

Posted by atuldalvi123 on 15-Apr-2016 03:58

I have 2 env on the same server

one is dev and the other one is testing

This issue is coming for the the test env and not for the dev.

I compared all the start up files for both the env such as ini and pf files but not much diff between them.

But still getting this issue.

And also its not related to the data corruption. I have updated new data on both the env and trying to export from the table. On the screen it is showing correct values but while exporting it is coming wrong in the flat file.

Posted by Garry Hall on 15-Apr-2016 08:22

We'd need to know more about original data, configuration settings, what you are using to view/verify the data is correct/incorrect. This would be better handled as a call with Technical Support.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Apr-2016 09:28

This sounds a lot like the difference between 8859-1 and 8859-15

This thread is closed