Running Eclipse / PDSOE on high DPI screens on Windows 8 and

Posted by Mike Fechner on 05-Mar-2016 14:58

This here fixed the issue with mini sized toolbar buttons in PDSOE on high DPI screens (Surface 4 pro) for me. As I didn't find it in the k-base I thought I share

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=421383

See the comment there by Matthew Cochrane 

"For those with problems on high dpi displays such as Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2 Pro, you can easily resolve this until eclipse is updated to work with high DPI displays in just two steps.

1) Tell Windows to ignore settings from within applications (which are clearly wrong, since the UI is unusable) if a "manifest" file is available. Open registry editor and create the following DWORD registry key:

Enable Windows to prioritise external manifests by creating and setting this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest (DWORD) to 1

2) Create a "manifest" file that tells Windows that Evernote is not using high dpi UI:
Create the file eclipse.exe.manifest with the contents of the attachment to this bug "Manifest file to fix this issue on high DPI displays" and place it in the same folder as eclipse.ex.

You may need to reboot your computer before starting Eclipse again.  Your UI is now normal!  Icons are correct sizes and all."

My eclipse.exe.manifest file is here.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<description>eclipse</description>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
        level="asInvoker"
        ms_asmv3:uiAccess="false">
      </requestedExecutionLevel>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
  <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../WindowsSettings">
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="schemas.microsoft.com/.../ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 07-Mar-2016 06:14

Mike,

Thanks for finding this.

I did find that on my Windows 10 VM running on top of an Apple iMac 5K retina display (5120x2880 resolution) that I had to put the manifest file in the following locations:

-          $DLC\jdk\bin\javaw.exe.manifest

-          $DLC\jdk\jre\bin\javaw.exe.manifest

-          $DLC\jre\bin\javaw.exe.manifest

I’m not sure which location caused things to start working but I have a usable Eclipse again.

I owe ya a beer if I ever meet you in person.  :)

Cheers, Brian

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 06-Jun-2018 13:24

This seems to be the winner. I had to build a new laptop and I only have the following present.

$DLC\jre\bin\javaw.exe.manifest

Posted by Paul Radbone on 07-Jun-2018 09:42

Hi,

I just set the compatability mode to 'Windows Vista' and it works fine for me.

Paul.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jun-2018 09:47

I wish it were the easy. On a WIN10 PC that did not work.

Posted by Paul Radbone on 07-Jun-2018 10:46

Hi,

This was on Windows 10, on a Surface book 2.  3000x2000 resolution.

I am running Elcipse Oxygen.2 (4.7.2)

Paul.

Posted by bronco on 25-Mar-2020 14:55

Just installing a new laptop with Windows 10 (version 2004). In the properties of the shortcut (of PDSOE) on the compatibilty tab there's a "Change High DPI Settings"  button which you should click. In the High DPI scaling override section set the checkbox and select "System (enhanced)". That does the trick, at least for me.

This thread is closed