Special char "è" imported as "畅"

Posted by ankitshukla on 17-Feb-2016 08:20

Hi,

I have imported a text file into temp-table. The text file contains "è" but when it gets imported into temp-table it shows me "畅" (some Chinese char ).

Any idea why it is happening and how to deal with it. 

Thanks,
Ankit

All Replies

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 17-Feb-2016 08:25

I would check code page of the Progress client. Code page of file and client should be the same

Posted by Matt Baker on 17-Feb-2016 08:28

What code page is the file you are importing?  English default is ISO8859-1, but this file probably isn't that code page.  Then check the "session:cpstream" values to ensure it matches the code page of the file.  You can also control these through startup parameters.  The default values for "-cpstream" startup parameter is stored in <installdir>/startup.pf file.

Posted by Garry Hall on 17-Feb-2016 08:35

Alternative to Matt and Dileep:

Setting -cpstream means all file I/O within the AVM will use that codepage. If it is only this particular file that has a different encoding, then you could use the CONVERT SOURCE phrase on the IMPORT statement. But you still need to know the encoding of this file.

Posted by ankitshukla on 17-Feb-2016 09:20

Encoding of the file is "ANSI". Session:cpinternal  is UTF-8. And there is no conversion available for ANSI to UTF-8 in convmap.cp

Posted by gus on 17-Feb-2016 09:32

There isn¹t a specific character set called ANSI. That is a slang term. It

could be any of several common 8 or 7 bit character sets.

Most likely, but not certain, what you have is 8859-1 or 8859-15.

Posted by ankitshukla on 17-Feb-2016 09:51

I got you now.....Thanks guys it solves the problem now. I was thinking ANSI and ISO8859-1 or ISO8859-15 are different.

This thread is closed