Find with rowid no-lock doesn't refresh buffer

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Feb-2016 04:53

Can anyone explain to me why a find with no lock using the rowid doesn't refresh the value in the buffer even with -rereadnolock parameter enabled? 

We have a number of situations where records are updated on a GUI session, and on a CHUI (barcode reader gun) session almost at the same time. For example the CHUI session requests to pick an order, the GUI session authorises the order for picking and then the operative goes and picks that order. But the CHUI session isn't getting the updated record as it still has it in the buffer from the last time it was accessed. 

Progress support have told me that you need to find the record exclusive lock on the CHUI session to ensure it's not a dirty read. But we've had that code in place before and have had horrendous locking issues due to the numbers of users concurrently working. 

If we change the find to use an index rather than the rowid find then it refreshes the record in the buffer. But that's not realy a workable solution either as we know we have instances of this problem, but not where.

All Replies

Posted by olivier.dunemann on 04-Feb-2016 05:26

Hi James,

I (still) don't exactly know why, but it is clearly stated and assumed by Progress in several papers: The -rereadnolock parameter has no affect on records that are being retrieved via RECID or ROWID.

Here, for instance: The rereadnolock session startup parameter does not always cause a NO-LOCK records to be re-read from the database.

This said, we are quite lucky with the suggested workaround to release record(s) prior to a find.

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Feb-2016 06:11

Thanks Olivier. Appreciate you getting back to me.

Strangely in my test case the release statement doesn't actually help.

I'll upload the code - runs against sports2000.

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Feb-2016 06:15

Hope this works... run t1new.p, it runs t2new.p, and then whilst it is paused you run t3new.p in a new session. Then unpause the other session. 

onedrive.live.com/redir

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-Feb-2016 07:23

del

Posted by olivier.dunemann on 04-Feb-2016 07:35

Hi James,

You should change the "find no-lock" at the end of the transaction in t1-new.p by a RELEASE.

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-Feb-2016 07:55

del

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Feb-2016 08:03

Yes that works Olivier. It's not ideal. But it works.

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-Feb-2016 08:17

del

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 04-Feb-2016 08:23

FIND CURRENT will also force a record re-read.

Posted by gus on 04-Feb-2016 08:42

are you sure the record was written back to the database by whoever updated it?

Posted by James Palmer on 04-Feb-2016 08:44

Yes gus.

Posted by George Potemkin on 04-Feb-2016 08:55

del

Posted by James Palmer on 22-Feb-2016 08:30
This thread is closed